Rarely Cooking for Now

John Natoli

I find myself in a situation where my schedule has changed to the point where im rarely cooking. As far as "maintaining" the seasoning of my cast iron , should I be "maintenance seasoning" them?..just let them sit as is? its been say 3 weeks since ive actually had the time to cook with them and who knows when my schedule will change. I was thinking a maintenance seasoning like once a week or every two weeks....am I wrong?

Really no need for it in my experience. Once the CI is seasoned, it's seasoned. Assuming you store/keep them in a place that's dry so they don't rust there is no need to do "maintenance" seasoning. Some folks like to keep a thin film of grease/oil on their CI between use, but I don't even do that and various pieces of my CI go for months, some have gone years, between uses.

I have several pieces of CI. I'm single and don't cook every day either. As stated, they will not rust unless they were not properly seasoned to begin with. Just rinse with hot water and wipe clean when you're ready to use. I don't think you want to eat dust lol.

Back