Strange Color (BSR Chicken Fryer)

Nick_N

After cleaning and re-seasoning my BSR Chicken Fryer (#8), I began immediately to using it. Basically all it has done is a bit of roasting in the oven, veggies mainly. Unfortunately, it's a slight bit of a spinner, but it serves my purpose just fine. What I am beginning to notice, is that this piece seems to have taken on somewhat of an odd color. Should I do another trip through the electrolysis tank and start over ?

Anyone got any ideas ?
IMG_0643 (640x480).jpg IMG_0645 (640x480).jpg

The inside seems to be okay, and is darkening up nicely.
IMG_0649 (640x480).jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....:icon_scratchchin:

I see nothing odd. You're cooking on the inside, building more seasoning there, it's getting darker faster. The outside will eventually blacken.

I suppose it's just that it has somewhat of a different look, than my other BSR and Wagner skillets, colorwise, that is. It's almost a bit of a redish brown tint ? Maybe my photos aren't showing that ?

IMG_0647.jpg

Bare iron is grey, polymerized oil is brownish, oil broken down by heat with carbon residue in it from the oil itself and cooked food is black. The more pieces you accumulate and use long term, the more variation you'll see in coloration until the seasoning is built up and carbonized enough to look black.

You could just wipe a thin film of oil on the outside the next few times you use it. You essentially would just be seasoning the outside while you're cooking in it anyway.

Nick, I have two pans, both cleaned and seasoned exactly the same way, that are decidedly different colors. The larger pan is a Griswold SBL ("the pan that started it all") and the small one on the left is a single-notch Lodge. I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but the small one is quite brown; the large one is very black and has been since the first round of seasoning--I put both pans through 3-4 rounds of seasoning. I've been watching the small one to see if it would turn black...maybe eventually, but not so far. Still brown as a bean!

IMG_2670 by donna manion, on Flickr

Back