Help with Tstat Removal

KevM

So I picked this Wagner hammered Dutch oven up yesterday with a thermostat in the lid. Any suggestions on how to get it out of the lid? The whole thing spins I'm afraid if I put it in the lye that it's going to fill up with liquid and I won't be able to get it out. I Have heated it, soaked with kroil, trans fluid, PB Blaster. Can't get the two halves apart. Can't really use any pliers because it's as soft as aluminum foil. Any suggestions?
Wagner hammered w/tstat https://imgur.com/a/1GRFpJ4

A member with the moniker "MarkZ" posted this advice on 5-28-21 about his Wagner DO:
"It took a few days, but I finally got it apart with penetrating oil and gentle persistence -- was afraid I would crush it. Can't say for sure but I think I used hand pressure against the top of the lid and maybe a grippy rubber pad wrapped around the bottom part. Once it finally budged it was no problem."
He also mentioned, "This is a three-part unit, two above the lid and one below, and they all screw together."

Given those clues, one could apply careful downward pressure from the top (outside) and grip the part underneath the lid (inside) and slowly turn. Patience and persistence. Good luck.

Back