Cleaning Up a Broken Edge

Greg Gardner

I recently got a Griswold #6 Dutch Oven, and the tab in front (at 6 o'clock position) is broken off. Otherwise it's in great shape - flat, no pitting. This will be a user for me so I would like to get the broken edge cleaned up, as it's sharp right now. I'm thinking my best option is to very carefully round off the sharp edges on a bench grinder.

Am I risking cracking the oven this way? If this is too risky I guess I can go the slow method and use a rasp, or simply get used to it and work around the sharp edge.

Seems like the factory grinding off of excess gate material would be tantamount to using a bench grinder. I assume the time needed to do what you want wouldn't cause an excessive amount of localized heating. Perhaps more risk in possibly slipping and grinding some part you didn't intend to.

That was my thought too - main risks probably inadvertent grinding of other surfaces or dropping the piece. OK, bench grinder it is!

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

OK, so it goes very quickly with a bench grinder and abrasive wheel! Got the worst parts off and will do finish work with rasp and file.

I bought a Lodge 4 in 1 pan (top half of the set) The tab was broken off. I used the bench grinder and cleaned the edge up. Just go slow because it takes the metal off pretty quick. Also don’t let it get too hot. I had a wet rag and kept cooling that area off as I went. But it’s much better than the jagged edge!

Good call on the Dremel for detail work. To Russell's point, I found that it went fast on the bench grinder so I wasn't able to do much beyond getting the sharpness off. Dremel should be great to really round it off. Will report back.

I prefer a mounted round grinding stone in a 1/4" drill. For a pot I work in my lap. Eye and respiratory protection. having the grinding stone in a drill is faster than a dremel with better control than holding the pot up to a stationary grinder. I lock the drill on fast and just hold it with one hand. Cordless drill do not like to run continuously. Do not wear a glove on the hand holding the drill.

I had to go to several hardware stores to find 1/4" shaft mounted stones. Finally scored at Budget Home Supply. I got a wide one and a narrow one. They are about 3" D.

I used to use these to smooth out the inside sides of modern Lodge pans. Now I use a flap drum and do less smoothing.

Back