Corning & Goewey

I bought a #8 skillet today at a flea market, made by Corning and Goewey, Albany NY. Can't find out much about the company or the specific skillet..I know the company was in business mid 1800's. Does anyone know anything about this company other than what I found on the first 2 or 3 pages of Google? Or perhaps some one else has some of this and would like to compare or discuss it. It is a really old skillet, and is very light and in remarkably good condition. Paid a whopping $5.00 for it. When the man gave me the price, I couldn't get the money to him fast enough..Afraid he would up the price.
Attaching some photos, or at least trying to.

Attachments

• 20150314_192637.jpg
    20150314_192637.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20150314_192519.jpg
    20150314_192519.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20150314_192539.jpg
    20150314_192539.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 91
What a great find, at a super price no less. At least for those of us who get excited about such old pieces.

Can't offer you any insight, but I'm interested in the history as well. I have a J A Goewey tea kettle and I understand he was in business 1861-1863. It's the one pictured in the CIC Foundry Database.

Doug, could the picture of the skillet be added to that database under the Corning and Goewey listing?

Thanks for the reply. Best I can figure this skillet was made somewhere around the civil war era. Too bad there isn't more info available about the company. I would welcome having the pictures on the foundry database.

Bill, does your skillet rock on the bottom gate mark or do the small tit feet keep the pan level? I have the same pan and it rocks. A beautifully made and light skillet, yours is only the second I know about. I have some info on the company:

"from "A History of American Manufactures from 1608 to 1860":

"In addition to the Stove Foundries Albany has two manufactories of Hollow Ware, one of them ranking among the most extensive in the United States. Mr John A Goewey, the proprietor of this foundry, is the successor of Corning & Goewey who succeeded WC Noyes who commenced the business in 1853. His foundry possesses every convenience for an extensive business as will be inferred when we state that over 120 men are employed in it and about ten tons of iron are melted per day. Mr Goewey supplies not only the stove foundries of Albany and Troy but founders and dealers in other cities and in various parts of the country obtain their Hollow Ware from his establishment. His castings are said by competent judges to be fully equal to any made in the United States. Mr Goewey is also the inventor and patentee of a railroad car and switch Lock of which he makes about forty dozen per week. These locks are in use on the principal railroads of the United States. Mr Hilan Seabury has recently commenced business as a Hollow Ware founder in Albany and gives promise of attaining a fair share of success."

Steve, the pan does have slight warp in the bottom and rocks slightly. Thanks for the info. The tits, or whatever they are called are to hold it in place on a wood stove eye. The warp in the bottom is of no consequence unless like me you have a glass top electric stove.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

ChaseClayton. Thanks. I am going to clean it up soon, and cook something in it just to see what food cooked in a 150 year old pan tastes like. I will let you know.

Jeffrey R, I hadn't even noticed it was a lefty. Guess I could give it to my son. He is the only southpaw in the family. Or not! I checked all my other cast iron both old and new and they all have pour spouts on both sides. Guess they are ambidextrous. Thanks for pointing that out.

Back