Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 11-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?

A modern make of a lodge #10 (2017 or 2018)

2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?

Both, kinda sluggish in the collecting as i like finding deals more than paying the going price for Griswolds

3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?

An unmarked vollrath #3, I had a Lodge 3 notch and BSR Red Mountain, but i was mostly getting those to use.

4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?

Got handed down a Lodge hammered dutch oven.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?

It'd have to be that dutch oven mentioned in #4, I love my skillets and my new waffle iron, but i could still do so much with it, more than i could do with any skillet.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".

A. an old large footed camp oven, preferably one of the major brands. I want to camp with one, but i want one that's smooth.

B. I'd like as many single notch hammered Lodge pieces as I can get my hands on

C. Any of the large logos from Favorite like the sunrise logo on waffle irons or the Wapak Indian head

D. I want a matching Wapak and Oneta skillets and i want to see if the Oneta, being the economy version, might nest in the Wapak.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2021, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

1. My first piece of cast iron? Lodge camp oven - purchased new and unseasoned 2003.

2. Am I a user, collector or both? Both although I am primarily a user. My go to right now (winter) is a Wagner Ware Sidney O that I use 2 - 3 times per week.

3. What piece did I acquire with an eye towards collecting?

A) I initially started to expand my collection of "working" CI, additional camp ovens. I wanted a collection of cast iron cookware for camping and outdoor cooking.

B) One day I picked up 3 vintage Wagner-Ware 9 skillets at a flea market with the intent to restore them and give them away as gifts. I still have 1 of them one of which is my current go-to. I paid between $10 and $15 each for them. It must have been cheap cast iron day at the flea market. Now everyone thinks that their rusty cast iron pans are worth a fortune.

4. What is my most collectible piece?

The most truly collectible piece is a Griswold italics griddle that my Great Grandmother used on her wood stove. I have another Wagner National skillet that is apparently collectible. It was handed down also. It might be the oldest piece.

5. If I were to give up my collection which one would I keep?

The griddle that came from my Great Grandmother. That one will be handed down as a family heirloom.

6. What 3 are my holy grail or bucket list?

Because I am primarily a user . . .
A) The Griswold large cross block that I use for cooking crabcakes and fish.
B) The Griswold chicken fryer that I use to cook, fry and roast with. This is my most versatile piece but it is as heavy as a bear.
C) I would like to have a vintage Griswold chicken fryer.