Another ID help?

SueB

I have two more cast iron pans that I would love to know anything about...

This one is a pan that a friend gave me a few months ago, my first cast iron pan. Any ideas what it is?

The bottom is entirely unmarked, and no heat ring or anything. It's very heavy and the casting is somewhat rough. The only marking on the whole pan is a number 9 and an "A" on the top of the handle.

The underside of the handle has a semicircular attachment.

The number 9 is weird, because it's just a tiny smidge bigger than my Wagner Ware #6 (it's 9.25" diameter). I guess in this case the number is the actual measurement?

Here it is between a Wagner #6 and a Griswold #8.

Nothing special I'm sure, but any ideas?

Last edited:
And the second pan is one I picked up at a thrift store. It's a Korean-made #3, marked "6 inch skillet" and "Made in Korea" on the underside, with a 3 on the underside of the handle. Pretty smooth inside, with concentric machining marks.

Any idea of age?

Last edited:
Your No.9 skillet is from American Brass & Iron in Oakland, CA. They primarily make cast iron sewer pipe with which I 1950 house is fitted with. The owner of AB&I wanted to make cookware and that's how it came to be. He was not able to successfully compete in the market so discontinued making it other than for special runs now and then for employees or other people. I remember it being sold in Macy's c.1980 and it is very heavy as you say.

Your second skillet looks like a Taiwan made pan c.1980 although I don't keep track of them.

Attachments

• ABI_1970s_CustomCasting_CastIronPans_02.jpg
    ABI_1970s_CustomCasting_CastIronPans_02.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 14
Wow, thanks! I wasn't really expecting these to be recognizable, so that's great!

The #3 pan is marked "made in Korea" though, not Taiwan. But thanks on the possible date.

Back