Extra Deep Skillets

SeanD

What are the sizes of these that were usually made? Im assuming only a #7, 8, 9, and maybe a #10. I could be wrong. Ive seen a 8 and 9 Wapak, but nothing else. Same as the other brands. Seems to me that I would buy the larger ones at the time they were new, but thats just me.

Assuming the question was if there were other sizes of deep skillets than those you listed?? Griswold made a #10 (BB p. 34 & 35). Know that Lodge made a deep skillet (RB p. 229) , not sure of the sizes. Wagner made some (RB p. 27 & 28). Magnalite also produced some in aluminum. Most all of the double skillets had a deep lower half and shallow lid. There again not sure of the sizes.

I believe griswold made 'deep skillets' at least in the early 'erie' time frame up to size 12... the bigger ones were marketed as doughnut fryers.

Selden & Griswold 8, 9, 10
Griswold 8, 9, 10
Griswold Iron Mountain 8
BSR RM 7, 8, 9, 10
BSR Century 8
Lodge 7, 8, 9, 10
Favorite 8½
Martin 8,9
Wagner 8, 9 (chicken fryers)
Wagner 8, 9, 10 (extra deep)

Thank You all for the replies. Now I know what sizes were made. I Have a #8 Wapak, #8 Wagner, and a newer Lodge. I like them for messy foods like burgers and such. I actually never fried chicken in any of them, lol, but now I WILL! I just like the oddity of them kinda. And they are versatile for sure.

Depends on who you ask. Probably no difference to most. There are, however, considerations like pour spouts vs. no pour spouts, or polish ground vs. unground, or lid vs. no lid. A "chicken fryer" technically wouldn't need any of those features. Most manufacturers, though, seemed to call them "either or" and made them with lips and lids, most likely to increase versatility, e.g. to also use as roasters.

Some makers adjusted the taper of their deep skillets so that their regular skillet lids of the same size number would fit both. Some did not, so be sure before purchasing.

Thanks for the information Doug, I never knew that.I have a lid that works, but its not CI. I think its steel but it covers them.

Back