Wagner Pots

Karl R

I got the first one at an antique shop… I paid around 40 bucks for it. I was thinking it was really old and maybe it was a fair price. I always get concerned with it being a knockoff or something. I think it’s a mental thing. Especially after being ripped off on some gem pans. About a year later, I was in another antique shop and I saw something that looked awfully familiar. It was all crusty, but it looked like the pot I picked up before. I saw the 28 dollar price and asked if he was negotiable. Dropped the price to 20. I could see what looked to say Sidney under the grime. Anyway, one just says, “Sidney” and has the size. The other, “Wagner, Sidney O, and the size. I’m guessing one is just older than the other. Or maybe a different mold. At any rate, finding another of the same pot put my mind at ease about it being a knockoff. I do use the pot. I made clam cakes just the other day. The shape of the pot is great because of the rounded bottom. Makes scooping a lot easier.

Attachments

• E3D1F36F-912A-4E45-9A9D-2B2D5BA50969.jpg
    E3D1F36F-912A-4E45-9A9D-2B2D5BA50969.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 0D2A9396-7351-49E9-9F3D-1795D7E69149.jpg
    0D2A9396-7351-49E9-9F3D-1795D7E69149.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 7A04A2BC-90CB-496D-B2D9-6242A321CEBA.jpg
    7A04A2BC-90CB-496D-B2D9-6242A321CEBA.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 20
From the prices I see in my area you got a great buy on the last one and a pretty good buy on the first one.

Nice!! I’m thrilled to know they’re over a century old. They really are useful pots. But why Scotch pots? Butterscotch? I could see that needing constant stirring.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

From the prices I see in my area you got a great buy on the last one and a pretty good buy on the first one.

Whereabouts are you from? Honestly, I see some totally ridiculous prices. One of the dealers at an antique shop was trying to pump me for information, haha. He said, “I heard anything with Griswold and Wagner on it is worth big money. What should I sell this for”? It was a griddle. I said i wouldn’t go any higher than 30. A week later he had it priced for 90. It’s been sitting there for about 4 months now.

There used to be a place on US50 in Odin and also one around the corner on US51 outside Patoka, but that's been seven years ago and those folks weren't spring chickens then if you get my meaning.

There used to be a place...

We were up in Odin a few weeks ago, there is still at least one shop there, didn't know about the one in Patoka, we'll see if we can find it next time. We looked up Iron Star and now are planning a trip up there in the next few weeks or so.
Sorry about hijacking the thread.

We were up in Odin a few weeks ago, there is still at least one shop there, didn't know about the one in Patoka, we'll see if we can find it next time. We looked up Iron Star and now are planning a trip up there in the next few weeks or so.
Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Lol, not a problem. Have fun, be safe!

Back