Help with Older Skillet

AugustinaM

I'm pretty new to cast iron and I just recieived my Grandmother's skillet which my Mom had but has never used. I'm wondering about the underside-it's pretty 'scaly' I guess is the word. I'm not sure what causes that and if it's something I should try and repair or just leave as is. I don't see any rust on it and the inside is quite smooth but of course could use some new seasoning.

Identifying is probably not possible because it looks pretty worn off or covered by the backside issues. The only thing is the handle on the underside has 3 dots on it. Not sure if anyone knows a maker that did that.

Thanks much for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpg
    IMG_4367.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 103
My grandmother's skillets were also BSRs and they're great users. Following the instructions Doug linked can make it like new pretty easily, hope you do so and share what you end up with.

Thanks Doug for the link. I don't mind attempting to restore it but if the skillet was more 'damaged' and if it's not just old built up seasoning-will doing the oven spray work on it? Like the scaly crackly look that the underside has-I've been looking through videos to see about what other repairs people have tackled. A lot of them look rusted which mine isn't but looks like it needs some help still.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Augustina - I have successfully restored a few pans that looked a lot like the one you have using the "Aerosol Oven Cleaner Spray". It is a great feeling to see a pan of beauty emerge during the process.

I think you will find what is on the bottom of your pan is just years of built on crud that will come off. As the instructions mention it may take a few applications of the spray until you get to bare iron. The one mistake I often make is not waiting long enough for the spray to do its' job. Patience helps.

All that said, when the crud is removed a crack, pitting or other issues may be revealed. So far I have not had that problem.

Good luck!

Re: Help with Older Skillet *Update*

Okay so I did the oven cleaner spray and placed in a bag. I couldn't help myself and I checked it and changed it out each day. Took 7 tries. Then soaked in white vinegar for a couple hours. This is its first seasoning.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpg
    IMG_4408.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4412.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 77
Looks like a great job. If you don’t mind the smell, putting the skillet on the self clean cycle in your oven often works wonders. I have had many skillets so covered in crud you couldn’t tell anything about them at all. After the self clean cycle is complete, all of that crud has turned to ash that you can literally wipe off with a rag.

Thanks. :) I am a little proud how it cleaned up. And I agree about trying the oven if I ever get another one to fix up. I'm curious how it does.

Looks like a great job. If you don’t mind the smell, putting the skillet on the self clean cycle in your oven often works wonders. I have had many skillets so covered in crud you couldn’t tell anything about them at all. After the self clean cycle is complete, all of that crud has turned to ash that you can literally wipe off with a rag.

Per the "cleaning caveats" link on the restoration page that Doug linked earlier, using the oven's self-cleaning cycle is NOT a method recommended by this forum. One may get away with it with no problem but it could also irreparably damage a piece, depending on the oven and the piece being cleaned. With simpler and affordable alternatives that give safe, reliable results, why risk it?

There are certain pieces that I would not recommend using the self clean method for. But most Century BSR skillets in my experience hold up well. I would not use this method on an older skillet with thinner walls like a Griswold or Wagner. But as far as a simpler option, what is simpler than putting a skillet in an oven and taking it out?

Oh I don't disagree, most Century BSR are likely to hold up well in many SCOs. However, Doug has made the point several times that this is a support forum and the advice provided here should remain consistent, and on this topic using a SCO is not recommended per the page from the main site that I mentioned earlier.

Great job Augustina! The pan looks beautiful... hard to believe the difference in the before vs. after.

Wow! Awesome job, Augustina! Now you've gotta check out the recipe section on this site:glutton: Fun, fun, FUN!:wine:

Back