Erie & Sidney Marks

JMichael

I recently purchased a Scotch Bowl with two makers marks on the bottom. One is a ghost "ERIE" and the other one below it is a scripted Sidney O. There are 2 sizes marked 6 and below it a 4. It looks like its an "ERIE" 6 and a Sidney 4? The O is almost superimposed over the 6. The scripted Sidney almost looks like it was stamped twice. Can anyone tell me what this is? Thanks.

Several foundries have, by ghost marks, been exposed as copy artists. The Sidney in script mark would be the Sidney Hollowware Co. See the Notable Manufacturers section on the main site for its story. The Sidney would not have been stamped, but it was often seen elaborately embellished with extra flourishes.

So does that mean this was originally an Erie pot that Sidney Holloware reissued? Would that put it somewhere in the 1880's? Is it a collectible piece? I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Reissued isn't a term which applies to this phenomenon. Sidney used an Erie piece as a pattern or as the basis of one. The material used to fill the markings on the original eroded allowing them to be cast into the Sidney pieces. See also on the main site the article on ghost marks.

Back