Griswold Waffle Iron Help

JeffreyL

A good friend got this for me at an auction yesterday, I have not laid hands on it yet but here's the pics of what I have seen. I can't find anything in the RB or BB that matches it exact with the patd dates etc. can anyone tell me any info on possible dates, and if it appears to be a correct set? He said there's no markings that he could see on the base, and inside each handle is the letter A.
https://imgur.com/a/KR9fl

A 151N is shown in a stove ring on BB pg. 93. The 151, which precedes it, has the coil handles with the eyebolt. The 151N was an update with coils that screwed onto the casting instead. Any of the bases numbered 152, 153, 154, or 155 would be correct. Since these pans do not have leveling pins, nor does the base shown appear to have receivers for them, my guess is that it is a 152.

Do you know an approx date range? And due to the fact I really wanted a waffle iron and it looks in good shape with minimal cleanup required I paid $85, is this a good price?

Well I got it home, we are concerned that the base isn't right, doesn't seem to fit quite right, and the only markings I could find on the base don't match up to what it should be, am I missing something or should I be on the hunt for a new base? https://imgur.com/a/1Yeor

Darn, so now I guess I need to find a base. Looks like I have 4 options, how easy might this be to find one?
Any idea on the maker of the base I have?

Should be relatively easy, considering what you're looking for has a specific number on it. No idea on what you have without some research.

Thanks for the help Doug, I guess my search begins, in the meantime I can get the work done on the paddles, should the handles be unscrewed before putting in the lye or etank? And should they also be removed for the seasoning process?

Also when I picked up the iron it actually only cost me $80, which I'm guessing is a bit high with an incorrect base?

You can leave the handles in place. Only if using a SCO to clean would there be a risk of damage.

I would have expected a matching base for that price.

i wonder if the CH in my waffle base would possibly be Chicago Hardware? Favorite made waffle irons, did chicago as well?

Not that I'm aware of. Columbus Hollowware did, but the bases are nothing like this one.

Inside my paddles are both marked with a letter A, I seen a complete waffle iron just like mine with a 154 base but it was marked with a letter A on one paddle, and a B on the other paddle, which is correct?

I was thumbing through the red book on my lunch break today and discovered on page 75 that Wagner waffle iron bases were marked CH, and they look identical. I believe the base I have is a wagner CH

Both paddles on a 151 set are identical. The leveling is achieved with the square shank on the handle sockets. The A and B are just pattern identifiers, so an original set could have been comprised of two A, two B, or one of each (or any other existing lettered pattern).

Back