Need Some Expert Eyes Here To ID This Pan

Griswold No.5 gem pan, early version 4 of 5 although I wonder if it isn't the earliest version. The shape of the end handles plus the way the very slightly slope at the top is the indicator of Griswold's early gem pans that are not marked.

I am thinking #3. Only because #4 has 943 on the underside of the second handle. You might not see in the photo that it is not on my pan, as the lettering 943 does not match the the same style as N 5.

Steve, Could you please explain "early version 4 of 5 although I wonder if it isn't the earliest version". Is there something that I am missing, as the YB has 7 variations?

Thank you

The Griswold No.3 is similar in cup shape to the Waterman No.3; shallow round cups that look like you could set bunch of grapefruits in the cups. It is p/n 942 and fairly rare.

I didn't see any pattern number on the pan you linked to and it looks to me like variation 4 of SEVEN (I messed up first time). I say that I would pick it as the earliest version due to no pattern number and the crudest of the No.5 (N 5) markings. Some pans it's pretty easy to place the variations in order of production but some it's not and this is one. I do question some of the pans in Haussler's book like the ones with a bottom gate but I think he had a lot of experience in collecting Griswold muffin pans. As with most books I look at what I see and read and see if it all adds up to a probable fact. All books have some errors so it's best to keep ones eye open for those possibilities.

I was thinking Griswold No.3, etc. and not "variation" 3 etc. in my last post.
Doug, I think you are right. I got confused looking at photos then line drawings. Variation 3 I agree with.

Steve, I was beginning to think that it was a test for me!! I am no way the one with expert eyes.

So what would be a value on this pan, as I can not find one that has sold?

Thank you

Jeffrey - I followed the link to the pictures you shared, and I am wondering about two other pieces you have shown on there. One is the unmarked #9 skillet with the gated bottom and scooped out handle on the top. I just found one like that, only a #7, and have no idea what it is (being new to this stuff). I assumed it was some kind of re-cast or something, but brought it home since it was so light, and the inside seems pretty slick - thought it might be a nice "user". Also wondering about the "ERIE" 786 dutch oven/soup pot. A friend of mine gave me one a couple years ago and I've been using it regularly - do you know if there was a lid made for it?

Michael

Hi Michael,

The photo of the unmarked #9 pan is a Griddle, The #7 and #9 have the same style handle.
As for the Erie 786, It is called a Yankee Bowl. I do not think that a cover was made for that pot, but I could be wrong.

No covers for Yankee Bowls unless some tin covers were made for them. Tin covers for the pots and bowls are shown in an 1895-96 Griswold catalog but I have not seen one of those covers which were probably not marked and easily lost or separated from the iron pot. No other Griswold catalog I have seen shows the tin covers.

Jeffrey - I looked at the link you provided in this thread to the photos of the pan in question, but wanted to ask you about some other pics on that site. What are the #7 and #9 skillets you have with the top of the handles recessed, the size number raised on the top of the handle, and the bottom gate marks? I picked one up at a junk shop the other day, mostly so I could try to figure out what it is. Plus the inside is pretty slick, and the thing is really light. One other question: the "ERIE" 786 kettle you show - did they make tops for those? Friend of mine gave me one years ago, and I use it regularly, but with an odd glass top I picked up at the thrift shop.

Thanks, Michael

Michael, I have the #8 skillet which is visually the same.. Despite the visual disturbance on the surface of the cooking area above the gate mark, it's very smooth and cooks very well on my glasstop stove. Used it earlier as a matter of fact. If just cooking eggs without anything to the scramble, they slide off onto the plate with no reside on the skillet.

Thanks Jeff. Yankee Bowl - got it. Too bad a lid was never made for it - the modern glass lid I use for it now just doesn't look right. Cheers.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Stephen, Doug, Lee - thanks.

Hi Michael, I never tried to see if any cast iron cover that I have would fit. Might be worth looking into. Always see a loose cover sitting around in shops and at some estate sales. Do you cook with it on the stove or in the oven? Would make a large pot of beans. I like to make small batches of beans, as make them each time. :icon_thumbsup:

Back