Griswold Collection for Sale

I saw on Craigslist today 250 pieces of cast iron 99% Griswold for sale. You can find it on Craigslist "Eastern North Carolina" I thought someone here may be interested. It's a cool picture to see that much iron stacked up in piles in a garage floor. I don't know if copy and paste works but I'm giving it a try. Also if we aren't supposed to do this Doug remove it and pardon my ignorance. https://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_Jk7ouBk3Ww_600x450.jpg

Wow. That guy has a serious addiction and selling the collection would only fuel the problem. He should give a few pieces away ... to an old man in Marietta, GA.

Initially, his $5000 asking price seemed high to me. But his asking price breaks down to on average $20 per piece. It doesn't seem like his asking price is so unreasonable if all the pieces very good or better condition.

I agree there is always a story! Could be anything, health, financial, downsizing, inheritance. I try to look at the bright side. Someone probably had years of enjoyment collecting these pans. I know when not if I die my kids will laugh at their crazy Dad with all his stuff. Cast Iron cookware, wood stoves, old bottles, coins, clocks, civil war relics, Indian arrowheads, buttons, fishing rods, reels, baskets, Coleman stoves and lanterns, and just plain ole junk!!!

Personally I think that borders on the obscene, practically hoarding. I'm the sort of "collector" than just buys, never sells, and as such I look for variety, try to avoid duplicates without practical purpose. I can understand the fun in finding and restoring, but if I was building up duplicates for just the sake of that activity, I'd take a different approach and move along the extra pieces instead of letting it build up like that. Perhaps he realized how insane things were getting and decided to make a break.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing this guy or anybody else here who may resemble him, I'm just expressing my opinion about my personal approach to collecting. People are free to do what they want and I certainly don't begrudge them that right. As long as you're not hurting others, whatever makes you happy is fine by me.

Not seeing the actual listing, it sounds like he's only selling it as a single batch, right? If so, good luck with that. Buying a pile like that would put someone from a novice to a complete collector without all the fun getting there. A buyer would have to be somebody with the intent of reselling the individual pieces for a profit.

Then shipping cost for such a mass of iron would be prohibitive, so he'll need to find a CI reseller close enough for local pickup. Who happens to see that ad. Good luck.

I agree, though, that's a pretty cool picture.

Last edited:
Good grief!!! Relict of a hardware store 50 years after they went out of business? Perhaps there was a REALLY mad collector in the family? I want to know the back story on this one!!

Personally I think that borders on the obscene, practically hoarding. I'm the sort of "collector" than just buys, never sells, and as such I look for variety, try to avoid duplicates without practical purpose. I can understand the fun in finding and restoring, but if I was building up duplicates for just the sake of that activity, I'd take a different approach and move along the extra pieces instead of letting it build up like that. Perhaps he realized how insane things were getting and decided to make a break.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing this guy or anybody else here who may resemble him, I'm just expressing my opinion about my personal approach to collecting. People are free to do what they want and I certainly don't begrudge them that right. As long as you're not hurting others, whatever makes you happy is fine by me.

Not seeing the actual listing, it sounds like he's only selling it as a single batch, right? If so, good luck with that. Buying a pile like that would put someone from a novice to a complete collector without all the fun getting there. A buyer would have to be somebody with the intent of reselling the individual pieces for a profit.

Then shipping cost for such a mass of iron would be prohibitive, so he'll need to find a CI reseller close enough for local pickup. Who happens to see that ad. Good luck.

I haven't sold any of my cast iron. I have given away some though. I currently have a set of Griswold Skillets sizes 3 - 11, but not all the same style. I am slowly working towards an entire set of large block letter logo without heat ring. As I find a new piece, I re-home the piece it replaced.

I also have a small selection of miscellaneous cast iron. An Alfred Andresen heart shaped waffle iron (misspelled Minneapolis on one paddle), a Griswold's ERIE #6 nickel plated skillet, a slant logo flat Griswold flat bottom kettle marked "ERIE", to name a few.

My goal is to have as complete a set of matching skillets as I can, and will use them for their intended purpose, my primary cookware.

This makes me think of my collection although in its infancy. My collection will outlast me, With modern medicine making leaps a bounds and constant improvements in cryogenics I can only hope to get another 150 years out of this body. Maybe 200 years if I eat more oatmeal?
With that said, If I buy a pan today for 5-10 dollars and it helps whoever I leave it to after I pass then I did a good thing buying it, But if they sell it in a yard sale for pennies on the dollar then my effort was wasted.
I'm starting to tag my pans with info that needs to be passed on to my loved ones.
Tony

Tony, if collecting your set of CI gave you pleasure during your lifetime, then it wasn't wasted. Just my opinion, of course..... :)

http://imgur.com/fZm1ppR
No, this would be more like hoarding, lol. This was one of three rooms like this that I was lucky enough to get to pick through lat year.

DonnaM, It is my prayer to die penniless, Cause that is the result of perfect timing and one hell of a budget. Go out owing nothing, that's just me but I will have a lot of iron hanging on the walls to pass on. I hate to think that my collection would be sold off wholesale, so I'm hanging little tags that tell the whole Scooby doo mystery about all my pans, If my inheritors' can't figure out a tag spelling this pans history out then they should lose out. Some people just don't care about CI cookware

That's a good prayer, Tony. And I think knowing a thing's history gives it more "life" for the ones who come after. I like your idea of the hangtags! :icon_thumbsup:

Laser from the eBay source. The ones with three lines cost more.

Hilditch

PS: They do not interfere with handle type hot pads at all.

Back