Good eBay'r

MDFraley

Just to share this experience with others...Not all eBay sellers are bad when it comes to returning items. I purchased an old BSR waffle iron over this past weekend knowing that it had one handle broken and so it showed in the seller's pic's. I was in hopes of possibly finding another WI that maybe had one good and one bad handle for a future restoration. The WI arrived today and upon examination the piece that was supposing to be o.k was in fact welded upon and had an inside crack that was not shown in the sellers pic's. Less than 2 hours ago I sent the seller pictures of the issue asking for a refund. The seller has since sent me a notification w/ a full refund of my purchase and does not want the item to be returned.
This is a good example as to how the process should work even though we hear horror stories regarding eBay sellers. Proper documentation and politeness will get better results than abusive accusations in the long run to my opinion.

By doing it that way the seller has eliminated your option to leave feedback and made the transaction disappear. I think the buyer should still be able to leave feedback for the sake of other buyers wether a honest or intentional mistake was made.

Hilditch

By doing it that way the seller has eliminated your option to leave feedback and made the transaction disappear. I think the buyer should still be able to leave feedback for the sake of other buyers wether a honest or intentional mistake was made.

Hilditch

How so, I've returned several items and still left feedback to indicate such.

Not sure what you mean by "fairly new". I had a similar incident about 9 months ago with the same results (full refund & no return). I feel certain the seller did not know much about CI according to other items listed on the seller's page. I still contend that proper documentation and a kind explanation of why you want to return/refund an item will get you further than being boisterous and accusations that imply the seller knew of defects prior to the listing.
Granted...There are sellers that know nothing about what they are selling and it's obvious in their descriptions of their listings.
I'm simply making a point that not all eBay sellers are devious and boisterous and that not all CIC buyers of eBay products label them as such...me for one. I have purchased a lot of CI from eBay that has been top quality and not always high priced and have yet to find that when I have an issue it's not always a bad ending.

I have only been "stuck" once, and that was 18 years ago when I first joined eBay, and their system was nothing like it is today.

I have had sellers refund me both partially (agreed upon) and fully for "not as described" with no obligation to return. Leaving feedback was still an option. I don't explain in feedback that I was refunded/keep the item as I feel it opens an otherwise honest seller to abuse by future buyers.

I had to have eBay intervene for me in one case of "not as described". The seller ignored them as well, and I was fully refunded with no obligation to return. The seller later actually messaged me asking when I would be mailing the item back. I said take it up with eBay. The seller left me a positive feedback (sellers cannot choose negative or neutral feedback to buyers) but with derogatory verbiage. I was able to "follow up" to it.

I have had one seller cancel a sale because she accidentally broke the item prior to shipment, and supplied photos to prove. Leaving feedback was still an option.

Cool MD. Too bad you can't leave good feedback.

Hilditch

I resent the fact that you say I can't leave good feedback. If you're taking a shot at me give it your best. You go out of the way to be critical of most everyone's post and I go out of my way to keep my mouth shut when reading your post. I may be banned from CIC after this but I will have no shame in saying that you do not run this site as much as you try. That's my feedback to you.

What I was getting to MD was that eBay has deleted the transaction which doesn't allow you to leave feedback at all which is bad for buyers. It had nothing to do with you.

Hilditch

My original post was meant to be informative and not argumentative as which it has become. This is not my style and certainly not for all CIC members to be subjected to.
In my second reply I clearly stated the seller had no idea the piece was in the condition it was other than the one broken handle. Their "other items list" they had over a hundred other items none of which were CI.
I'm not sure what you want me to do to this seller that has already acted in good faith. No feedback was necessary nor would it have helped any CIC member because they were not CI sellers.
As I stated I'm sorry I don't agree with your way of thinking and I stand by my statements.
Regards,

That escalated quickly. May I render some assistance: I believe he is saying the system will not allow you to leave feedback. This statement had nothing to do with any certain person and certainly not you.

That escalated quickly. May I render some assistance: I believe he is saying the system will not allow you to leave feedback. This statement had nothing to do with any certain person and certainly not you.

Lloyd...I'm well aware of what he was saying and the system does allow feedback as DougD stated.
I want to move forward and away from this issue. CIC members need to be reading positive post and I apologize to those I may have offended.
Thanks in advance to all.
Regards

Let my contribute my own story about a good seller, one that just happened.

I have a BSR 8-slice cornbread skillet but I've been keeping an eye out for their 6-slice model. They're not really worth anything, but they are less common because they weren't manufactured as long.

I recently let one go because the seller kept trying to squeeze a few dollars more out of me than what was fair. I could have easily eaten the small extra cost but I don't really "need" one, no hurry, and his tactics annoyed me.

But the other week there was only one of those on the 'bay, way way overpriced. I took a stab and made my same fair offer, not expecting anything. To my surprise he accepted with no haggle, 70% less than the BIN.

It arrived today. In a bubble bag. And broken.

I emailed him with pics. Within an hour or so I had a full refund, including my shipping, and an apology.

That could have been a lot messier. It's a shame about the ruined skillet, but at least the seller had integrity.

I have a couple of good stories, too. I bought a gem pan from an eBay seller and afterwards thought to ask him if it sat flat; turned out it didn't. He had not shipped it yet and let me back out of the sale. Very good of him, I thought! Story #2--I "won" a DO and lid on a Goodwill auction, and when it arrived, it was apparent the lid didn't fit the DO, even though they were both 8's. Goodwill sent me an RA form so I can mail it back to them for a full refund. How cool are those two stories!

Michael, I appreciate you giving a thumbs up to a good ebay seller. Many of the members here sell cast iron (myself included) and the majority of the time we get bashed for doing it. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with an Obrien chicken fryer that arrived with the handle busted off. The seller quickly refunded my money and told me to keep the pan. I left good feedback because it was an honest mistake. A lot of people who are not familiar with cast iron believe it is indestructible which is what this seller assumed. I'm sure that experience taught both myself and the seller a valuable lesson. Nobody wins if you don't package correctly.

Back