CI Alternatives

KevinE

If you didn't have CI, what would you use or what would be your preference? I don't use CI for everything and when I don't use it, I prefer hard anodized aluminum. It's light and pretty darn non stick. Just wondering what others like when they're not using CI.

I used to use non-stick ano aluminum, still do sometimes for very acidic dishes, but I'd rather not these days for a variety of reasons.

I use my seasoned carbon steel wok quite a bit, actually prefer it for sautéing vegetables, also a good deep fryer.

I don't have any but a good cooking friend of mine swears by 316 grade stainless steel, uses it exclusively. Says it's the "cleanest" you can cook in, i.e. no flavor transfer from the metal.

I'd like some enameled CI if I could find any in like-new condition, reasonably priced, and not made in China. So, no enameled CI...

Heavy copper bottom, stainless steel, Revere Ware. I have a older set for high acid or long term refrigerator storage dishes.

I ditched my Teflon and also aluminum when i started reading about the health hazards quite a long while ago. Have been using stainless steel ever since. Probably will still use it for various things after I get some of my CI ready to use.

We use stainless steel and older CI enameled pans. My husband lets me drag out my Magnalite chicken fryer for certain things, but he is really against using aluminum pans, so mostly CI and SS.

I used to use non-stick ano aluminum, still do sometimes for very acidic dishes, but I'd rather not these days for a variety of reasons.

I don't have any but a good cooking friend of mine swears by 316 grade stainless steel, uses it exclusively. Says it's the "cleanest" you can cook in, i.e. no flavor transfer from the metal.

This thread has been sticking in the back of my mind...

I wish I could use CI for everything but alas, experience has taught me there are just some things it's not well suited for. Meanwhile, I'm less and less comfortable with continuing to use my old non-stick ano aluminum when CI can't fit the bill. So I've been doing more research on stainless steel cookware, as recommended by that friend of mine, and thought I'd share some results that might be of use to any of y'all with a similar dilemma.

If you don't want to bother with the details, just skip to the recommendation at the end...

First off, what qualities to look for:

- Though my friend swears by 316 grade SS, that's not necessary. 316 is a grade suitable for marine and medical implant uses. In a kitchen environment, there is no practical advantage over 304 grade, though the cost of 316 is much higher. To identify 304 grade, in cookware it's more commonly called 18/10 or 18/8, which is not a grade but the percentages of chromium and nickel in the 304 spec.

- Multi-layer construction. SS itself is a poor conductor so the practice is to sandwich a layer of aluminum between two layers of SS (304 for the cooking surface but often 430 on the outside, which is 18/0 and more prone to corrosion). The aluminum helps distribute the heat evenly and is completely encapsulated, does not come in contact with the food. Some brands just layer aluminum on the base while others also go up the sides. Going up the sides is better. Fancier models have 5 layers with maybe a copper layer sandwiched inside but a simple SS/Al/SS 3-layer is good enough.

- Cast SS handles. Some have plastic components but that affects their ability to go into the oven, and if you have flame spillover on a gas range they can be damaged. The good cast SS handles are of a design that stay cool.

So, with those qualities in mind, what's the recommendation?

It really comes down to the brands All-Clad and Cuisinart. The others fall short one way or another.

All-Clad has the advantage of being made in the USA. It has the disadvantage of being by far the most expensive option out there. Cuisinart is made in China, but their "Multiclad Pro" SS line satisfies the desired qualities just as well as All-Clad, but more affordably.

Really between the two it comes down to whether the extra expense for "made in USA" is worth it to you or not. Being a backup set for when I can't use CI, I'm going with Cuisinart. Instead of buying a full set I'll just a la carte a couple of pieces and see how it goes, starting with a 1 1/2 QT saucepan.

Hope somebody finds this all of some use. Cheers.

Eric, before you pull the trigger on some high end name stuff you may want to consider the following. Although no longer available new, I bought a set of Flint Ekco Waterless Cookware in 1975. It reportedly is tri-clad 18/10 with titanium with a radiant core. Never did get a good answer as to what that core was but based on the feel (heavy) and timing of heat distribution up the sides I’d guess steel. I was told cast iron but it is too thin, however it is very magnetic. They have bakelite handles that are not oven proof, but these are for stove top use. I don’t put my sauce pans or DO’s in the oven although 200° would not be a problem.

After 40 years of significant use they look like new 4’ away. The skillet is still my goto for certain dishes that were born in it. Most of the Flint Ekco cookware on eBay looks like new too. Take a peek.

Hilditch

Although no longer available new, I bought a set of Flint Ekco Waterless Cookware in 1975. It reportedly is tri-clad 18/10 with titanium with a radiant core.
Hilditch

Titanium or vanadium? I never could determine what the "radiant core" is in my limited research, but everything I was able to find said their SS was alloyed with vanadium. In any case, Flint Ekco is some good stuff. Too bad they don't make it anymore, but as you say, there are some good deals to be had on ebay. You can even get replacement handles from various sources for everything should the need arise.

Last edited:
My Flint carbon steel knives have the vanadium for strength, hardness and stain protection. The Flint SS cookware reportedly has titanium for shine and sparkle. I can see the difference between the two and the chrome doesn’t hurt the SS. Nothing to do with the core. I haven’t come across anything that said the SS had vanadium. There is a big difference between the Flint vanadium and SS knives in what edges they will take & how long they will hold them.

Hilditch

Thanks Eric for the additional information on the cookware. In time I will need to replace my Teflon 5.5 Qrt deep sauce pan I use for a number of things. I see Cuisinart has one just about like it.

Donna, they either say Stainless Steel OR Vanadium, but not both. If they do, please post a pic.

Hilditch

Hilditch--tried to send you a photo, but something is awry with Flickr...most of my photos aren't even showing up. So, each knife has this printed on it--"Flint Stainless Vanadium U.S.A." Including the Flint TM...an arrowhead. I'll try again tomorrow with the pic.

Donna, if you've had those knives for 100 years, please share the secret of your longevity... ;-)

Cutlery aside, my earlier TMI post was just considering the current market of new SS cookware. Used SS is certainly an option if one wants to consider them. Personally I would still weigh them against the desired qualities I stated but at the same time, though qualities aren't mandatory for a usable piece.

The "waterless cookware" thing was of note, though - I did run across that stuff during my research, it's a specific cooking method that's basically steaming without a steamer basket, or pressure cooking without the pressure. Claims it retains more nutrients, but it's been around since the 1940s, perhaps as far back as the 1920s, and most of those claims are in the form of marketing (as opposed to impartial studies) so it's hard to say how objectively real the benefit is.

I had dismissed waterless cookware as there's no need to buy a set of more expensive cookware to serve a single specialized cooking style, but Hilditch's suggestion brings up two points. One, used stuff is cheaper. The other, you can still use the waterless stuff for the more typical varied cooking styles; I hadn't thought of that.

Regarding Titanium, it is sometimes alloyed with 304 SS as a hardening agent but there's no real practical advantage in a kitchen environment. If an affordable vintage piece has it, nice, but no need to pay a premium to get it.

And alloying with Vanadium does increase the strength of steel, which has some value with cutlery but isn't really a value-add with pots and pans. (Coincidentally, Titanium is commonly alloyed with Vanadium...)

Anyway, my first Cuisinart 1 1/2QT SS saucepan arrives today and I'll be chucking the first of my old non-stick ano aluminum...

Eric, hooray for chucking the non-stick stuff! I sometimes wonder how much of that material my family and I ingested before I saw the studies.... :cry:

Back