Post Cooking Issue

CJMunnich

After I use a skillet, I wait for it to cool, scrub it with a CI only dedicated plastic brush (Lodge), hand dry, and then put it back on the stove to dry completely. While it is still hot, I give it a quick coat of oil, usually olive, and let it cool. I then wipe out excess oil with a clean towel and hang until its next use.

When wiping in the oil, I have noticed what looks like "dry" spots on the cooking surface that the oil does not cover. Am I doing something wrong, or are these areas becoming over saturated? This is happening in several of my high use skillets.

My guess is that it is food residue that has not been burned in yet. Scraping smooth with a spatula helps before the washing. Also, like a tooth brush, the plastic ends on the brush may be getting round and not cleaning as well as when new.

When I clean with a piece of loofa some areas need extra time and elbow grease with lots of hot water. Oiling after drying with olive oil may not be the best idea. I leave mine dry and can rewash if light colored spots show up.

Hilditch

CJMunnich
Do you ever use Pam or a spray canola oil? There is an ingredient in them called lecithin dimethyl silicon which is an anti-foaming propellant. I have noticed that if I do not thoroughly scrub the pans after using these sprays, the next time I try to use bottled canola oil it has a tendency to bead up. I keep a bottle of canola oil on the stove and usually pour a small amount onto the pan I am about to use. I then use a paper towel to spread the oil all over the cooking surface. If I haven't removed ALL the spray oils the canola oil will not spread evenly and the cooking surface is streaky, like a windshield that needs new wiper blades.

Hope that helps

Jack

CJMunnich
Do you ever use Pam or a spray canola oil? There is an ingredient in them called lecithin dimethyl silicon which is an anti-foaming propellant. I have noticed that if I do not thoroughly scrub the pans after using these sprays, the next time I try to use bottled canola oil it has a tendency to bead up. I keep a bottle of canola oil on the stove and usually pour a small amount onto the pan I am about to use. I then use a paper towel to spread the oil all over the cooking surface. If I haven't removed ALL the spray oils the canola oil will not spread evenly and the cooking surface is streaky, like a windshield that needs new wiper blades.

Hope that helps

Jack

I have an 1800's griddle that I have observed doing the same thing, liquid oil will bead up and run away from some areas as if it were water on well seasoned surface. I am certain no chemicals or silicone have been used on the surface, just a lot of careful seasoning with grape seed oil, bacon grease, and butter. It's a strange phenomenon.

CJMunnich

Hope that helps

Jack

I have used the sprays quite a bit on one skillet in particular, and it is the worst one. This makes sense. Time to change my ways. I hope that is will "wear' off eventually and I won't have to re-do these.

Thanks

Back