Lodge help

RonnB

Posted are top and bottom of a #8 Lodge. Outside Sand cast and interior sides and bottom are milled. Is this new or early 1990's. Have a debate going and would like to put it to rest.
Any help gladly appreciated.
Thanks

Probabely earlier 1990s. I don't know when Lodge stopped grinding their pans but they weren't as late as 2003 when we toured the foundry. That "egg" trademark came in the early 1990s I think.

Still a monstrosity compared to my Lodges ranging from 1900 to 1940, they should be ashamed to be producing such clunkers now.

So, I'm guessing the debate was whether this was NOS or had Lodge started polishing again?

They did offer pieces in polished (skillets designated SK1) or as-cast (designated SK2) versions for a time.

Doesn't Lodge only offer their pre-seasoned iron for a while now? The clunkyness of their newer iron may be a result of the automatic molding machines either being unable to make thinner molds or the weight and thickness helps to keep breakage down when the pan is bouncing down the shaker belt on the assembly line. One would think and hope that any company could and would make their best products ever in 2013. The automobile companies seem to be doing that.

I'd take a noname of pre1950 vintage over a new Lodge any day.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I suspect the quality of the iron ore (assuming they're not using scrap iron melted down) might be one reason for the clunkiness of new Lodge. Like so many other aspects of American life, cast iron suffered an irreversible decline beginning in the 1960's.

I think "Lodge Logic" pre-seasoned is the only option now, started in 2002.

I have seen, recently, what appear to be factory seconds for sale at outlets like T.J.Maxx, with labels stating that cosmetic imperfections do not affect use. I thought it would be easy enough just to melt them down, but apparently not.

Thicker pan walls and smaller pour spouts are the result of moving to automation, as is the discontinuing of open frame muffin pan designs.

Lodge has their own seconds shop on the foundry premises. When I toured the foundry which was in production the QC guy was pulling skillets off the line to be melted down. The flaws that I saw were such as tiny pinhole marks or small nicks, things that Griswold skillets had lots of. I was impressed at the quality of the Lodge pieces but not the weight, style, or surface. Too bad as they have made some excellent iron in the old days and I bet they could again if that were the most important thing to them.

One of my prized skillets is a #7 1900-1910 Lodge, it looks as though it came from a different world than the post 1992 #10 Lodge a friend gave me.

My guess is with all the Asian competition the most important thing to them is survival which none of the other makers could manage to do_One of our local stores sells a 3 piece set of Old Mountain for 19.95.A large part of of the population don't know the difference between it and a Griswold.Not many as passionate about their cast iron as we are.

All the more reason to hold on to the classics, or sell them dear. If a 3 piece set of Old Mountain clunkers sell for $20, what's a 3 piece set of Iron Mountain (#7-#9) worth? I've got less than $30 in it, and that's only because the #9 was $16 which if you ask me was still a bargain (the #8 was only $2!). I have hopes of adding to it as I find other sizes.

One of my prized skillets is a #7 1900-1910 Lodge, it looks as though it came from a different world than the post 1992 #10 Lodge a friend gave me.

Ty, can you post a photo or two of your early Lodge skillet? Dating Lodges is not easy for me and I don't think I have any notion what such an early one looks like. Also wondering how you date it but would have to see a photo first.

I'm assuming it is based on the identifying noname CI link on this site, it seems more than likely that it is. What really makes me sick, a couple years ago I had found a #8 identical to this one. I used it for about a year, then resold it. Then I found this #7, what a pair I would have had.

Last edited:
Thanks Ty, I don't know much about early Lodge or Blacklock but have been reading and looking at posted photos recently. I guess your pan qualifys as Blacklock/Lodge and it's probably pretty early.

Back