Another Skillet ID

KFSchmidt

I saw this at a flea market at work. It was advertised as an early skillet, but I'd never seen anything like it. The handle was what stood out to me. Trying to decide if I need to pick it up...

IMG_0475.jpg
IMG_0476.jpg

Early gate-marked skillets are hard to ID. This looks genuine late 1800s maybe early 1900s. Price is subjective to want or availability. If you want it and it's priced in your budget, grab it.

I saw this at a flea market at work. It was advertised as an early skillet, but I'd never seen anything like it. The handle was what stood out to me. Trying to decide if I need to pick it up...

View attachment 2518
View attachment 2519
I have the same skillet! Sadly, mine has hairline cracks on either side of the handle. I also have a matching #8 griddle.

Image (mine also has the same inset heat ring, by the way. I'm sure its a match)

I have the same skillet! Sadly, mine has hairline cracks on either side of the handle. I also have a matching #8 griddle.

Image (mine also has the same inset heat ring, by the way. I'm sure its a match)

That skillet looks very similar, but I see one difference. Yours has a groove from the base of the handle all the way around the outside. The one I saw had an indentation with a raised "7" that fades out by the hole.

That skillet looks very similar, but I see one difference. Yours has a groove from the base of the handle all the way around the outside. The one I saw had an indentation with a raised "7" that fades out by the hole.
If you are talking about the inner "teardrop" around the hanging hole being rougher, I agree, but I think that there is enough in common to say that they are the same, especially the font used for the size.

I looked at KF's handle and it almost looks like it's been filled in. Maybe an inherent weakness in the handle design so they altered it on the mold to fix it??? See if you see it too.

I looked at KF's handle and it almost looks like it's been filled in. Maybe an inherent weakness in the handle design so they altered it on the mold to fix it??? See if you see it too.

Oh, I most certainly see what you're talking about. That's the "inner teardrop" that I was referring to. Looks to rough to be a pattern fix to me, though.

Or perhaps they're simply two skillets made with somewhat similar characteristics by different makers around the same era. The rims of the pans are also different.

I definitely agree with Scott on this one--unless it has a crack or some other real sign of damage, I'd buy it in a flash. I don't have any gate marked skillets; hope to find one someday.:D

That seller seems reasonable, but I think that is one of the sites I've seen some crazy prices on.

Update: I did end up buying the skillet. It ended up being $15 and seems to be in great shape. It is in the oven cleaner now.

KF good for you! Great price and a great piece. Yes Etsy can have some prices that you can't believe on both sides. Like eBay, watch and wait.

Back