Value and useability of plated iron??

JMEisenberger

My only experience with plated iron is a nickled 777 deep skillet with matching nicked lid. It shows wear (of the plating) on the bottom and edges, but has been a wonderful user over the years. When I look at other plated pieces on epay or craigslist they always look like junkyard car bumpers with the plating peeling off in sharp-edged chunks and strips. Mine has no "peeling", only wear-through from the stovetop or brillo pad. A collector recently told me that the plated pieces, unless mint, are worthless. His reasoning was that while black iron can always be stripped and re-seasoned, once chrome or nickle plate is gone the piece will always be ugly and of no value to collectors.

I was suprised and insulted. My pan had been the best piece of cookware I had ever owned and a constant conversation piece at dinner gatherings. I might mention that I use a 1974 John Deere to cut my grass every saturday and a 60's Allis Chalmers snowblower in the winter.

Also,I read somewhere that the nickle was much more durable than the chrome. So what's the deal with Plated ci? Thanks for any and all info, Jamey.

I wouldn't go so far as to say worthless, but yes, the collector community as a whole finds worn plated pieces to be worth less than the same in bare iron in excellent condition. Obviously, with professional assistance, one could restore a plated piece to its original glory, but at an expense even the most avid collector would not be likely willing to bear.

Nickel is generally softer, but more corrosion resistant than chrome. Perhaps that relative softness allows nickel to stand up better to things that, if they happened to chrome, would encourage corrosion.

Alright then, another question on the same vein. At a local consignment/antique mart today I found a Griswold #5 chrome skillet in almost mint condition. It had slight wear in the inner "corners" of the bowl from utensil scraping, but still had the factory swirl marks and a mirror-like shine everywhere else. For $50 is it a good value for A) a collector looking to make a profit or B) a user looking for an interesting everyday pan. As I've said in another post, I am not a collecter by nature, but like unique useable things. Wrinkled Willy has the same pan (with lid, but much worse condition) for 350. ( http://www.wrinkledwillytreasures.c...ck-Skillet-Set-MINT-Free-Shipping_p_725.html#
The pan I'm looking at is very similar but A) no lid and B) much better chrome finish.
Is it worth $50, and if so should I use it or preserve it?
I mean... is a pristine nickel or chrome plating more valuable as a user-surface or a museum-antique shelf-queen???

I would have to first discount Wrinkled Willy (whose example cited really doesn't look all that bad of shape) as a benchmark of collectible cast iron values. Those prices are more aimed at those not interested in the thrill of the hunt nor the satisfaction of restoration. Adding a matching lid to any equation makes comparisons all the more difficult, as lid values typically surpass those of the pans they fit. Personally, I tend to view pristine plated pieces strictly as showpieces, not as potential users, and I think the average collector would agree. For true collectors, I think it's more about the having for whatever period of time and, when it comes to selling, at least breaking even, not necessarily making a huge profit. Otherwise, you're just a speculator without much in the way of actual collector appreciation. To answer your question, yes, if the #5 is in better condition than the one online, it's worth $50 as a collectible.

Thank you Doug. I figured Willy's prices were exagerated but wasn't sure how much since he has a lot of rarer pieces (sets with lids, lots of hammered finish, etc.). As far as the care of plated pans, are the same cleaning methods used? The one I found doesn't need, it, but if I want to clean my old worn nickle 777 to display (on the cabin wall) is it safe to oven-clean?

I wouldn't. Those temps can discolor chrome, and I'm not so sure nickel won't, either. Your pan was produced in both nickel and a variety of Griswold chrome finishes, IIRC, so I think I would just err on the side of caution in any case. On plated, you can use lye safely, and steel wool and even stainless steel scrubbers don't seem to affect plating if not applied aggressively. I would get it clean and dry, warm it up and then just apply a little cooking oil to the areas where the plating has worn, and then wipe it [mostly] off.

Bumping an old thread:

I'm cleaning up an unmarked, hammer finished, plated (nickle, I assume) pan. The plating appears to only be on the outside. Assuming this cleans up well enough to continue with, do I only season the inside?

I have had to scrub some rest from the outside, so I think the plating may be worn off on the high spots of the hammered finish... if that is true and I don't season the outside, I would expect rust to reform on the outside. (it is also possible, of course, that the pan had simply been left to sit inside of another pan, and rust just transferred to the nickle)

Wondering how others have handled this sort of situation.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

The pan:

I think it is a nice looking skillet. I would lightly season the outside with spray Crisco and season the inside with Crisco shortening. I like the ones that weren't plated on the insides.

No experience. That does not look like nickel from here so first I'd make sure it was not paint. Then e-bath. I'd go with the advice above unless it was to be a user, in which case I'd go ahead and season the outside as it will get black one way or another.

Hilditch

I have a plated skillet, not hammered but it's worn in some places. It's hanging on a wall at the moment, no plans to use it. Cleaned it in lye and left it as is.

If you plan to use it, follow Doug's advise and season what is exposed.

No experience. That does not look like nickel from here so first I'd make sure it was not paint. Then e-bath. I'd go with the advice above unless it was to be a user, in which case I'd go ahead and season the outside as it will get black one way or another.

Hilditch

I have already cleaned it. I cleaned it in lye, followed by a vinegar bath and lots of scrubbing. I do already have it oiled to keep flash rust at bay but haven't actually seasoned it yet. The part that I'm concerned about is the high spots on the outside where the plating has worn off... I think that they will rust again eventually.

@ W. Hilditch: I don't believe you want to e-tank plated metal, from what I've read.

Conflict! I'd be afraid to e-tank a piece that appeared to have a good/nice coating of nickel or chrome and screw with the molecular structure of the bonding. This piece has so much wear - consistent wear - on the sides it is suspicious to me and I don't think it's value will be diminished by an e-tank bath even if it removes all the silver stuff. It may not affect it at all but what to lose?

I would try paint stripper/thinners first out of curiosity.

I agree the worn spots would rust without seasoning with use, but light oiling would hold for display.

Hilditch

Conflict! I'd be afraid to e-tank a piece that appeared to have a good/nice coating of nickel or chrome and screw with the molecular structure of the bonding. This piece has so much wear - consistent wear - on the sides it is suspicious to me and I don't think it's value will be diminished by an e-tank bath even if it removes all the silver stuff. It may not affect it at all but what to lose?

I would try paint stripper/thinners first out of curiosity.

I agree the worn spots would rust without seasoning with use, but light oiling would hold for display.

Hilditch
If definitely is not silver paint. It is either nickle or chrome, and I'd put my money on nickle. (I was going to say that I'd put my five cents on it being nickle LOL)

I did see a chromed Griswold dutch oven today. Too much money, though, and that one had very uneven wear through the chrome on the inside. At least mine is completely off on the inside.

Back