Grandmothers Cauldron

DarrylM

I have my Grandmothers Cauldron, she gave it to me in 1973. It is in great condition and I use it all the time. But I would like to know more about it. I also have the lid, which I believe is original to the piece. However, as far as I know, there are no manufacturers marks.

There is a single 8 on the bottom, and a single bump or raised area about 2:30 as seen viewing the 8. I will try and clean it up some more, but I have cleaned it in the past and do not recall any other markings.

This was at my Grandparents farm in Alabama and my Grandmother at the time thought it was around a hundred years old.

I will try and attach some photos.

Darryl McCollough
Fairbanks, Alaska

Attachments

• IMG_2613a.jpg
    IMG_2613a.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2614a.jpg
    IMG_2614a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2601a.jpg
    IMG_2601a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
Here some more Photos of the Cauldron, primarily measurements.

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_2604b.jpg
    IMG_2604b.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2605b.jpg
    IMG_2605b.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2606b.jpg
    IMG_2606b.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 32
Last of the photos for now, I will try and post some photos of the lid.

Thanks for any input.

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_2616c.jpg
    IMG_2616c.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2621c.jpg
    IMG_2621c.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 27
Additional Photos of the Lid.

Holds 2 gallons, about an inch from the top, where the flute starts towards the rim at the top.

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_2626d.jpg
    IMG_2626d.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2633d.jpg
    IMG_2633d.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2627d.jpg
    IMG_2627d.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Not certain what you mean by dimpled lid, mine is quite smooth on the exterior and does not have that fluting as shown in the ebay model, unless you are referring to the interior of the lid.

Just by the forged handles, the way that they are applied to the pot and lid, I figure it is pretty old.

I have cooked two silver salmon in it at the same time.

Darryl

It holds Two full Gallons (eight US quarts) before the flute begins towards the top, I never actually checked it until tonight, it would be about an extra quart or two to overflow.

Darryl

Darryl,

RobertH and I must be looking at different pictures. There is nothing about that lid that says "Wagner" to me. Looks like Lodge and I do not believe it is original to your pot. Wagner, to my knowledge, never made a dimpled lid. BSR, however, did. Your lid (the under side) appears to have nubs or nipples and not dimples.

Can't help ya with the pot. Heck, not even sure I helped with the lid. Hopefully Doug or another expert will chime in. (I'm far, far, far from an expert!)

I haven't seen a Wagner bulged pot with that type of bail attachments, and they don't go for anywhere near the crazy eBay price on whatever that pot is. If we're talking about the lid, that's just a somewhat older Lodge DO cover. I'm not sure there are any true CI "experts"; it's just there are people who have seen and touched a lot more iron than some others.

Thanks everyone for your responses, and thanks Doug for identification on the Lid.

There is a current listing on Ebay and show a nearly identical bulged pot as I have.

VINTAGE CAST IRON BEAN POT WITCHES CAULDRON # 8 USA MADE ANTIQUE COOK WARE

The main identifiable difference I can see is mine has reinforcement between the bail hangers towards the lip of the rim.

Darryl in Fairbanks

I will post some photos of the pot on Ebay for comparison

Here 3 of 5 photos I lifted from the ebay ad.

Even the the outermost part of the 8 is not fully cleaned out similar to mine.

Attachments

• $_57 (1).jpg
    $_57 (1).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 17
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
  • $_57 (3).jpg
    $_57 (3).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 12
I thought I would post a good photo of the Bail Attachment on my pot.

It looks similar to the other pot photos that I posted.

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_2670a.jpg
    IMG_2670a.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 9
Back