Enameled Pieces

I haven't seen any concrete info in catalogs that they did, but enameled pieces that are clearly BSR castings exist. Some were apparently sold by third party companies, for which the assumption would be the enameling was done by them. I have seen or heard of multiple size skillets in a two tone brown, and have seen a CF and a stew pan in aqua. Might be worth noting there are also Griswold and Filley pieces seen in that same two tone brown enamel, which tends to support the third party theory. The BSR page often referenced here makes no mention of enamel.

As always...Thanks...I too went to the often referenced BSR page and didn't find any mention of enameled pieces. I purchased the one listed on e-Bay which was an olive green (8 sectional pie shaped) cornbread pan but couldn't make out if it had any BSR markings due to the thickness of the enamel coating. It did have the traditional BSR handle so I'm sure it isn't a lodge plus it doesn't have the center hole which was also atypical of BSR. Guess I will know more when it arrives.

The markings on the 8CBS and the 6CBS are both thin and shallow. I would expect a decent enamel coating might just obscure them.

I have a six piece BSR CB skillet that was red and white enameled. I still have it but I ruined the enamel in the lye tank.

Jack

What a neat cornbread pan! I really like enameled CI, and this one is in excellent condition. I think that sort of yellow green enamel was a "fashion" color of the 50's. I have a Wagner no. 3 (marked 6 1/2 inch skillet, with a Q on handle and at 6 o'clock) which is a similar color on the outside, white on the inside. I use it a lot, and wonder if its good condition is a result of its color.:chuckle: Thanks for sharing, Michael.

Michael that is a really cool piece of iron. I remember when appliances were that color. I see there is a brown BSR saucepan on ebay now. They are pretty cool I wouldn't mind having one.

Here is the brown one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSR-Cast-Ir...189978?hash=item25bc6f22da:g:~s8AAOSwH71XPI-p

Thanks Bonnie....I remember a reply to my cast iron display thread back in late Feb. Where we thought a piece of enamel I have may have been Krane due to the grove on the bottom side of the handle. Was looking at the pic of the piece on e-Bay and it has the same grove on its handle as the piece I have. Could it be the sauce pan is not a BSR?
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20811&postcount=16

Michael, here is how I worked it out in my head..I don't know if its correct or not. Krane or Crane was and still is a manufacturer of plumbing supplies. They were set up to enamel tubs, sinks etc.. I figure they commissioned a lot of pans from BSR to dip in the enameling equipment they already had. If you look at the cost of new enameled cast iron like Le Creuset it would make sense that there was money to be made by such an endeavor. Again, this is just my guess, I could be wrong.

I have also noticed that Lodge who is prideful about their made in the USA pans does not make such claims for their enamelware. They may make the pan here but they don't do the enamel process.

Last edited:
Michael, here is how I worked it out in my head..I don't know if its correct or not. Krane or Crane was and still is a manufacturer of plumbing supplies. They were set up to enamel tubs, sinks etc.. I figure they commissioned a lot of pans from BSR to dip in the enameling equipment they already had. If you look at the cost of new enameled cast iron like Le Creuset it would make sense that there was money to be made by such an endeavor. Again, this is just my guess, I could be wrong.

I have also noticed that Lodge who is prideful about their made in the USA pans does not make such claims for their enamelware. They may make the pan here but they don't do the enamel process.

Your reasoning sounds o.k. to me. Just couldn't figure out why the grooved handle is different than the normal handle you would find on BSR sauce pans.
BTW....The lodge line you are referring to is what's called the ECI according to the C.I.C Resource page and it's done in China. Check out the attached link of one I saw on e-Bay. Not only was the enamel process bad looking, but they didn't even enamel the inside of the D.O. Seems counter-productive to me but I guess you get what you pay for and in this case it looks like a useless pile of &*&$%%^.
Thanks again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161117822057?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

When I was CI hunting on Friday I came across a 1950's Century Series #8 the exact same color in MDFraley's picture. I thought about this thread the moment I saw it. The price was reasonable and the green color made me think of lime marinated fajitas so I bought it.

When I was CI hunting on Friday I came across a 1950's Century Series #8 the exact same color in MDFraley's picture. I thought about this thread the moment I saw it. The price was reasonable and the green color made me think of lime marinated fajitas so I bought it.

Good for you Ty....Might as well cook you up a batch with some Guacamole and a beer or two. BTW...is the underside of your handle grooved or does it have the traditional BSR handle?

Good for you Ty....Might as well cook you up a batch with some Guacamole and a beer or two. BTW...is the underside of your handle grooved or does it have the traditional BSR handle?

Traditional. It'll make a nice addition to my "users".

Back