Crescent Waffle Maker

Hey All!
I hope everybody is having an awesome week!

About a month ago, I found my first waffle maker, stripped it down with lye bath and electrolysis and gave it new life (still need to put handles on it).

I was wondering if anybody knew any details they could share regarding the maker of this... I was thinking Crescent Foundry Co (Ozark), out of STL, but wanted to see if anybody else may have any thoughts regarding age or maker of this pretty cool Waffle Maker!

Before and after images to check out!
https://plus.google.com/photos/112296790657594337527/albums/6202668881237814449

As always, thanks!
-J

I love the handle and the graphics! From the early pics, I am amazed that you managed to restore it so well! Apparently the rust hadn't pitted it too badly.

Simply a guess, but I'd say the ornate handle and graphics would put it pre-20th century, anyway.

My guess is early 20th century based on Griswold's ball hinge.

Now all we need is somebody who knows their stuff.

Hilditch

AFAIK, the waffle irons made by Crescent Foundry of St. Louis, MO were branded "Ozark" and had coil handles, which this one likely did not. I wouldn't estimate this one being earlier than about 1910. But probably not much later, either.

Can't believe everything you read on the internet. In all likelihood, these were made by Fanner Mfg. of Cleveland, OH. Examples are seen with the same raised Crescent Waffle marking and incised Fanner markings around the perimeter. It would be very unlikely for Fanner to have copied someone else without removing such unique markings.

Here is a pic.

Hilditch

Look what I picked up this morning!

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

I managed to dig up a little information about Fanner Mfg Co.

Fanner1.jpg~original

Fanner2.jpg~original

Got mine finished up tonight. I am very happy with it except for the handles... any way to remove them to clean up the interior rod? I also was hoping the wire of the handles would be brighter. Still, not unhappy!

The handles were never chromed or nickel plated so don't try to make them silver shiny. My best looking spring handles are shiny black with some wear. Season them with lard and if you use them enough, which you won't, when the seasoning wears off the handles the steel will shine up from wear. A little extra seasoning on the inside of the irons won't hurt either. The seasoning also keeps the rust at bay as they are hard to towel dry.

Hilditch

The handles were never chromed or nickel plated so don't try to make them silver shiny. My best looking spring handles are shiny black with some wear. Season them with lard and if you use them enough, which you won't, when the seasoning wears off the handles the steel will shine up from wear. A little extra seasoning on the inside of the irons won't hurt either. The seasoning also keeps the rust at bay as they are hard to towel dry.

Hilditch

Is that right!? I assumed chrome or nickle plated. OK, will do.

i just bought one of these from ebay. not here yet but i have a couple questions. Mines says crescent waffle like all the ones in the pictures but mine does not say fanner on in it and mine has wooden handles. Do you know when they switched?

Attachments

• front griddle.jpg
    front griddle.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 17
  • back griddle.jpg
    back griddle.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
My guess is that the wooden handle waffle irons were produced first.

It appears that the wooden handle waffle irons do not have Fanner or Cleveland on it. I have one with coiled handles and love it. I am from Cleveland so I'm a little bias lol.

Any information on this iron is appreciated as in manufacturing dates and such.

i just bought one of these from ebay. not here yet but i have a couple questions. Mines says crescent waffle like all the ones in the pictures but mine does not say fanner on in it and mine has wooden handles. Do you know when they switched?

I think the style of hinge would be the most likely part to place this in a time period... definitely after 1900...

Back