Waffle iron handles

Paint roller handles are too thick. Note the 1". 3/8" or 1/2" dowel should do if you have to make them yourself.

It was a cracker barrel chair. They are made in Tennessee by Dixie. I think the oak will make a strong enough handle.

Burst my bubble! After reading this thread I had to look at my 19th century Griswold waffle irons.

The two on the left are possibly original wood. The one on the right needed handles so I determined the correct size, found a hardwood dowel and made them to include the pin hole. Even tried to add some patina with a rusty water bath and a little scorching. Pretty impressed with myself, I was.

The two on the left are hickory. The one on the right is oak. Oh well, next time.

Hilditch

If you can find a good lumber yard or search the internet, as they do make many hardwood type dowels. I have replaced handles on some early logging tools with maple and cheery dowels. :icon_thumbsup:

Bonnie,
Replacement handles are very easy to reproduce. Any amateure woodworker with a lathe can make reproductions if you have a pattern or dimensions to work from.

There are probably some hobbiest in your area that can do the job. Your local wood turning suppliers may be able to put you in contact with someone who will make them for you. If you were in the Houston area I would make them for you myself.

Jack

Thanks Jack, I have been spinning my wheels a little too much about these handles but I want them to look nice. I like the turned handles with the flat side where the paddles come together. There is a place down the street from me called Anthony's antique furniture restoration, I think I will pay Anthony a visit. It would be cool if he would barter a skillet for some handles.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Anthony said he would let me use his toys to make my handles. Yay. His shop was close to a thrift store so I couldn't resist a walk thru, I came home with this.

http://i.imgur.com/ArSgROb.jpg

I agree with Jack. My other past time is making custom pens from both exotic and American wood and I venture to say that I have at least 12 pieces of Hickory in my stock bins but I too am located just outside Houston and it would be difficult to make for you and drive to Arizona. I would suggest not using the Arizona Iron Wood even though the wood grain is nice but the wood is kind of on the "hard" side and your wouldn't have fun trying to whittle it down and sand to the right size. I only own one waffle iron but it has steel coiled handles and just by looking it appears that a 1/2" dowel stock would probably work.
Good luck in your venture.

I like the magnalite also. It's so easy to make it shiny. I'm still waiting on DougD to post more pics of his magnalite. His always looks brand new. :icon_thumbsup:

Back