You think new Lodge is rough? Psshhh....

RickC

I'll jump to the defense of old iron with a smooth cooking surface just as quick as the next guy/girl, but I was recently put in my place when on a whim I purchased a Griswold skillet that nobody in their right mind should have bought.

It was UgLy, and I needed it.

Ladies, and Gentlemen, these are pits. Large ugly pits, lots of them.

(Photos Attached)
2 of the No. 8 Griswold 704 EPU skillet (Topic of discussion)

1 of my favorite skillet, possibly smoother than glass for contrast. (Who's maker I shall not name for fear you people will snatch them all up and discover how great they are) :frown:

Anyway, I cooked eggs in this and filmed it.

Behold, The Griswold that should have been thrown away long ago. [Video]

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 177
Did you find that thing metal detecting? (my other hobby). It will still fry country ham, sausage, and bacon. (another hobby).:tasty
I have to edit after watching the video. The scratching was almost as bad as (Quint's fingernails on the chalkboard: Jaws)

Last edited:
Did you find that thing metal detecting?

Nope, had it in my watchlist on eBay for a long while, it was re-listed a few times, and I finally just bought it (for too much) just to see what would happen if I actually tried cooking in it. I was very surprised at the results.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

set up their electro tank backwards.

Possible explanation! But I'm not sure how it got this way, it really wasn't that rusty when I got it, mostly just dusty from what I remember. It worked so good, maybe I'll start "Deep Pitting" new Lodges' and selling them at a 50% markup.

Now featuring: Cooking Dimples (TM)

Still a great cooker! One of my fav's was 4$ find at an antique store rusty and unrecognizable. Turned out to be a Wagner Ware 1056Q and it may be pitted but cooks great!

Here's a DO to go with it!
$_12.JPG

eBay auction

Seriously, though, that's amazing. How did you get it so shiny? Do you attribute that to the sunflower oil (as opposed to other types of oil)?

I've been working on my fried egg technique, and it's finally coming along.

I'll start "Deep Pitting" new Lodges' and selling them at a 50% markup.
Now featuring: Cooking Dimples (TM)

Sorry Rick, just could not help myself.

Thinking a new sales pitch here. New non stick skillets, hot air under the food so it will not stick. Just toss your nice glass smooth skillet into the salt water for 6 months, presto new non stick hot air pocket skillet.

PeteK, Sell it to RickC, as he has 3 types of cast iron collections. The nice, The Cracked and the Pitted.:-D

PeteK, Sell it to RickC, as he has 3 types of cast iron collections. The nice, The Cracked and the Pitted.:-D

Ohhhhh....... Sadly this is true...

How did you get it so shiny? Do you attribute that to the sunflower oil (as opposed to other types of oil)?

Nope, I "seasoned" it once with olive oil. I like the taste of sunflower oil, so that's what I cooked the eggs in. That skillet looks like the surface of the moon. It's rough and pitted. Somehow that skillet worked great. I refuse to use it again as I'm afraid it might crack. I like it the way it is, without cracks.

Funny since I will still cook in skillets I paid WAY too much for and not even think twice.. Wapak Indian, sure, Sidney Hollowware, no worries, Pitted beyond recognition Griswold, nope, it's a keeper..... :redface:

I have a Griswold #8 704 small logo, It was my first CI buy out of a thrift store for $12.It was rusted and cruddy, after cleaning it up it looked just like that if not worse. I seasoned it up and now it's my official corn bread skillet, stuff falls right out.

I have a Griswold #8 704 small logo, It was my first CI buy out of a thrift store for $12.It was rusted and cruddy, after cleaning it up it looked just like that if not worse. I seasoned it up and now it's my official corn bread skillet, stuff falls right out.

If you ever need any tips how to cook with your special skillet, just ask RickC.:icon_rofl:

Back