EATON ' Housewares nickel plated #8

Ivan V.

I just wanted to post a question about a potentially late
1800's T. Eaton Nickel (or ?) Cast iron #8 that I own. ..I can't find any samples anywhere online. None on ebay etc...Anybody know more?

f5be9df8b52bbe6390e0ba297a8bacd5.jpg

a400ab6f445c5e6c90bc0b074a28f4f7.jpg

T. Eaton was apparently the Canadian equivalent of Sears, Spiegel, Montgomery Ward, etc. They filed for bankruptcy in 1997. I doubt your skillet was made anywhere near the 1800s, but I don't know who made it.

Id be interested in knowing who made it also. My first guess from looking at the top of it was Griswold. I'm still trying to learn to recognize them by the style and traits, so when I find them all crudded up I'm not rolling the dice blind.

Ivan, there's a Facebook site "Canadian Made Cast Iron" where I'm sure you'd be able to get some answers. Also, is our resident Canadian CI expert, RobM, out there?

In looking under "Canadian Manufacturers" on this site, your skillet is shown as the first image under "James Smart". So, there's the "who"...

Last edited:
If it was made by James Smart Mfg., it would be from Brockville Ont. I recently picked up a #8 skillet marked SMART BROCKVILLE ONT.

Court is still out on who made them. Not 1800's, and definitely not that rare.

McClary for sure was one of the makers, have a skillet here marked X108. Smart may have been, or Findlay or other. The 8 on that skillet looks like Griswold but it seems Eaton has it's own number style.

Eaton did purchase Guelph Stove in 1920, they had the capability to make their own hollow ware, even had a nickel plating shop, but zero evidence to show that anything but stoves and ranges were made there.

Back