Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Why Wagner?

Wagner designed and patented the corn stick muffin pan; Griswold played catch up with that one. Both made unmarked pieces. Griswold called theirs Iron Mountain. They also debranded Victor economy skillets to make a trio of unmarked skillets. The rest of the questions are interesting, but I haven't seen any widely-held opinions or concrete information supporting their implications. Can you provide documentation in support of the claims of inferior iron composition, sub-standard "edge machining" (not clear what that means exactly), and price cutting? Otherwise it just sounds like so much rhetoric.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 PM

I could provide historical references to the unmatched quality of the iron ore used by Griswold. I could also provide pictures of of rough/incomplete machining on Wagner skillets. As well as retail adís showing Wagner prices under comparable Griswold prices for the consumer.

However, I believe these would be picked apart and termed exceptions not having been validated by widely held opinions and it wonít change your opinion.

Sorry, I have no officially stamped documentation to support my case. I do believe former and present day pricing speaks for itself.

Hilditch
Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 PM

I've never driven a Mercedes but I've driven Fords and Chevys. While the Mercedes might be superior, the Ford is my choice. Why you ask? Because they both get you where you're going. But with this being said, when the Mercedes breaks down, you have to get a loan to pay for repairs but when the Ford breaks down, you head for the nearest Pick N Pull and you're on the road again.

Wagner while maybe not the best, they're affordable and they get you to the same place, good food.

Scott
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 AM

I grew out of Fords in the 70ís and switched to Toyotas. Since then Iíve only driven by Pick N Pulls never having to stop. In the 60ís it was very important to have a friend whoís father was in the junk yard business. As far as getting where Iím going? The Toy is the most dependable, but a Ferrari is a lot more fun even if an oil change is $2,000.

Good food and fun is a hard combination to beat at any price.

I still prefer BSR & Lodge over Griswold for good food. Cooking in them is fun!

Hilditch
Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 AM
Site Admin

It would be interesting to see historical references to the unmatched quality of the iron ore used by Griswold that didn't come from Griswold marketing or weren't the expression of a journalist's hometown pride. I, too, could provide photos of rough/incomplete machining (if you mean side gate grinding) on some Griswold skillets I own. And Lodge, and BSR, and Wagner, too. I have a ton of ads and a bunch of catalogs, but I'm not seeing evidence of the price cutting claimed in any of them. The request wasn't for officially stamped documentation, just for any at all.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 AM

My request was: “So why the infatuation with Wagner?”

I’m not here to prove anything. I’m here to learn and share.

Hilditch
Old 02-17-2016, 01:27 AM
Site Admin

The question was preceded by, "I understand that over time Wagner stole ideas, robbed patterns, made copies and compared to Griswold had inferior machining, quality control and cast iron in an effort to put out a cheaper product.", and seems to be supplying your own answer. There must have been some pressing reason, one important enough to hijack another thread in order to bring it up. Please, share away.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:20 AM

The first was the Wagner & Griswold Society, then I found the book. Experience/research gleamed over the years told me the names should have been in reverse order. Griswold always felt better to me. Avis may have been better than Hertz, but they were always second. Copycat companies donít impress me, but some win. I believe quality speaks for itself.

This has bothered me for years. Scott's post about a Wagner site stirred my wonderment again, so I thought I'd ask. So far, I'm reading cheaper.

Hilditch
Old 02-17-2016, 04:04 AM

Yeah, blame it on me. I've got big shoulders lol.

Scott
Old 02-17-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
I could provide historical references to the unmatched quality of the iron ore used by Griswold. I could also provide pictures of of rough/incomplete machining on Wagner skillets. As well as retail adís showing Wagner prices under comparable Griswold prices for the consumer.

However, I believe these would be picked apart and termed exceptions not having been validated by widely held opinions and it wonít change your opinion.

Sorry, I have no officially stamped documentation to support my case. I do believe former and present day pricing speaks for itself.

Hilditch
In another post in this thread you said you're here to learn and share. (I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put more than one quote in a post.) Please share. I'd like to learn, too.