Hated to see this - now what do I do??

GusC

I was so proud fining this Wagner 8 Skillet at an antique mall in rough shape but sitting flat
I knew I could clean it up and bring it back to glory

Then, I see this...........small hole all the way thru - rust was covering it up before

Make it my dedicated Grilled Cheese Skillet..............

Any better ideas how to fix

Attachments

• 2015-01-31 08.37.01.jpg
    2015-01-31 08.37.01.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 76
It looks narrow, so I bet it fills in with oven seasoning. I'd go with a long bake at 400 to get it to set completely, but unless it's much bigger than it looks I think you'll be fine. Shame though.

Been thru 2 of 4 Crisco seasonings so far and no filling in yet..........

Sick feeling when you see a hole (my first) or a crack (unfortunatly seen a couple)

Interesting. Are you greasing the pan cold or warm? I'd have though capillary action would pull a bit of grease into that hole. Maybe it's bigger than it appears in the pictures. Lack of scale and whatnot.

Try cooking cornbread in it. I have a pan with a toothpick size hole in the side (casting defect) and it filled in quickly. Since your pan will be hot when you pour in the batter you shouldn't have any leakage

Well, I consider all my pans and iron, users.

I'd fill i as carefully as possible with brass, season pan, and enjoy a lifetime of use.

I don't know much about CI, as I am new here. But what I do know of metal work, I'd go with the fill idea. But do it from the top, so the markings don't get messed up. By the time you fill, finish, and season, you'll never see it.

Back