Hey from Blue Ridge foothills in Virginia

Nell L.

I'm very appreciative of all the information here.

Not a collector, but I do have several cast iron pieces inherited from my mother. The site's photos and history helped me realize that the #6 Wagner skillet she gave me when I left home, the pan that was my entire "batterie de cuisine" for a while, was from the 1930s, from the household where she grew up. That's what I'd assumed, but a surprise was that the other most-used cast iron piece here, a no-name 10 1/2 inch skillet is an unmarked Wagner, and from the 1960s ('MADE IN USA'). I don't remember its arrival, but it's likely she bought it in 1964, to help inaugurate her newly redone kitchen with its fake-wrought-iron cabinet hardware.

One way I limit collecting impulses is to acquire only things I'll actually use. So the pieces in which I'm most interested are a #3 skillet (for toasting spices), and a Dutch oven (for deep frying and no-knead bread baking). I truly love using cookware that goes back a ways; in this kitchen there are items from every decade since the 1900s except for the 1940s.

Looking forward to seeing members' finds and learning more.

Lived in Culpeper for a long time . beautiful area. I am also a part time collector,as I am acquiring my stock and that means I only want to purchase what I will actually use. enoy the flow of knowledge from the members here.

Back