Cast Iron Sources Other Than EBay?

JulianH

Hello,

I see often folks from other parts of the country posting incredible cast iron hauls on social media, paying 'pennies on the dollar' for premium pieces at garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc. Facebook in particular is awash in posts like these.

I live in the PNW. In years of picking I've never seen collector quality cast iron for sale at a garage sale. It's even rare to see any in antique stores around here, and expect to pay top dollar when you do. As a result, I've been forced to purchase all my cast iron from eBay. The shipping alone is killing me, not to mention the winning bid. Am I missing something? Is there some other market I'm unaware of that isn't in the grip of this gold rush, or some venue where collectors trade with each other directly? For that matter, how do I find other collectors in my area?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

I'm new here too and I hate to give away a good source but I can't buy them all. Check out Goodwill online, it's set up a lot like Ebay with way better prices and selections from their thrift stores all over the country. There is a lot of non collector stuff but there is good old stuff there.

Well, I certainly do appreciate the tip, Curtis. Now that I think about it, I have seen some GW auctions bleed over onto eBay. It never occurred to me that they ran their own shop. It's a shame this forum doesn't allow tips about specific auctions or we could all bird dog for each other. In any case, I own ya one.

I know what you mean.....I was at 2 new antique places here in PA yesterday, and zero cast iron......I mean nothing at all, lol.....the guys that ran the one place said its impossible to keep in stock, and that they sell high. Same thing with Pryrex to a point....its pretty steep for some of it. Anyways, I know a little local place that always has CI, but it all needs cleaned and so on ( the fun part! )....I have good luck there, and Goodwills, sometimes......and always ebay....I guess you gotta pay to play now adays, lol......well, good luck hunting!!!

Oh....I almost forgot....try the local scrap yards. Im serious.....if they have CI at all...you only pay for the weight of the CI....its a new place to ask anyways.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Welcome to The Forums to both of you!

I live in Southern Louisiana and finding anything other than BSR and 3 notch Lodge in the wild is next to impossible. Unfortunately I am constrained to Ebay and goodwill online as well. They also have the occasional online auction or estate sale, but prices have been way too high for what I'm willing to pay...

I do however agree that with all of the security measures that members go through to prove that they are not a scammer, should present an opportunity to have a members only marketplace for trading and fair sales between collectors.

I am still new to the forum as well, and I don't know if CIC ever had a marketplace at one time and shut it down for any reason, but I for one would support a new marketplace.

Thank you to all who replied. This thread has provided some very valuable perspective! Judging from Facebook hauls, I had gotten the erroneous impression that I was the only one who wasn't finding deals left and right. Now I appreciate that rising prices are a measure of increasing scarcity, rather than pure price gouging. Granted, that's both good news and bad, but at least now I understand the market.

I find Wagner Ware the most here in Central PA. I have the start of a set of them, just by running into the different sizes thru the years. Griswold was made in PA, but hard to find near me. Wagner was from Ohio, so thats probably why.

I have never bought anything from EBay. Most of my iron came from thrift shops. I have found some pieces from flea markets, yard sales and even Antique stores. I got one great deal (#16 Lodge Camp oven) and one good deal (Camp Chef Lewis & Clark Camping set in the wood box) on Craig’s List that were local picks. Auctions and estate tag sales seem to be a good but they do a lot on Sunday and that’s a no for me. I retired and don’t get to hunt very often now. But I don’t need anymore.

Facebook groups are a great source of information/sales.

- Iron Man Auctions
- Patriot Cast Iron
- Cast Iron Classifies
- Cast Iron Community Sales
- Cast Iron Yard Sale

There are a lot more. You will find similar prices to ebay (no one is giving anything away), but without 15% sales fee, sellers can give a bit of a better price.

You also have to be willing to drive for a haul. The biggest sellers drive all over the country. I don't do that, but I will drive a few hours (one direction) if my life will allow. I've been doing this about a year and bought two large lots (80 and 100 pieces).

The biggest collector in the world (I think) is the O'Neills. They are in the PNW, so it can be done!

I’ve had some luck finding good deals on eBay. Apply search filters “used” and “unbranded”. It takes a lot of searching and scrolling, and usually there won’t be anything interesting. But that’s how I got an iron mountain chicken fryer, a griswold #6 gem pan, and other “unmarked” pieces for a good price despite shipping costs.

I live in Southern Louisiana and finding anything other than BSR and 3 notch Lodge in the wild is next to impossible. Unfortunately I am constrained to Ebay and goodwill online as well. They also have the occasional online auction or estate sale, but prices have been way too high for what I'm willing to pay...

I do however agree that with all of the security measures that members go through to prove that they are not a scammer, should present an opportunity to have a members only marketplace for trading and fair sales between collectors.

I am still new to the forum as well, and I don't know if CIC ever had a marketplace at one time and shut it down for any reason, but I for one would support a new marketplace.
A marketplace would be a great addition to this website. I am also a member at The CABE (the Classic Antique Bicycle Exchange). Similar to this website with info and forums;but they also have a marketplace where members can post bicycle items for sale or even post items they are looking for. Plus sellers do not lose a chunk of profit to ebay etc. Something to check out. I would love to see that here

I would love to see a market place on this site also. I belong to 3 or 4 Garden Tractor forums, and they all have a place to buy, sell, trade or give away.

Someone on Ebay just bought a Shallow Skillet, Wapak single hole handle for 70 bucks. No one else bid aat all. I wasnt in the market, just looking, but thats a steal.

Here in the Midwest, I have found some good piece in the smaller junk shops, as we call them, off the beaten path. Have mostly local to semi local customers so the prices are better, but not always.

Back