Anybody Seen One of These Before?

Tony Fraser

good day new cast iron friends.

I took my first dip into electrolysis yesterday. Have a look at the link for the whole process, it was super fun. Wanted to try it on something I could pick up cheap before I stuck my very vintage family wagner into sodium carbonate.

Question I have is -- this test pan that I picked up for 10 bucks, it's not cast iron but it's really interesting and I have no idea what it is. Could be off a chuck wagon, could be from a camping store in 2010. Either way, it's really, really heavy duty. My dad says the handle was joined to it after it was stamped but that's really all I know.

Anybody ever see anything like this before?

All photos are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1Gn1tEm-QIP6s0hwK93BjXhMTr7Nm9Ne_

Attachments

• IMG_9117_profile_small.jpg
    IMG_9117_profile_small.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9603_small.jpg
    IMG_9603_small.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 51
Looks like pressed/stamped steel. Absent rivets, I'd say the handle was part of the blank and then bent to form in a post process.

Stamped steel pan. Made in a press. Flea markets call them "cowboy fry pans"in an attempt to jack up the prices. Most used examples have a bad wobble.

Thanks guys!

Yeah it's got a wobble all right. Seems like it'd make a good camping pan but I don't care. It's the first time I tried rust removal with electricity so that pan is going on my wall. Plus it's a really nice patina.

Thanks for the name, it's now my "cowboy fry pan". It was cheap though, maybe 10 bucks plus shipping.

you could also name that pan your 'cool handled luke'.. as I often see them referred to as 'cool handle' pans.

Back