Cast Iron Spatula?

Todd Boring

In some of my recent ebay searches I've come across spatulas made from cracked, flat bottom skillets. They seem to sell for good money and I'm just wondering what the attraction is. Are these practical for use or just more of a novelty?

P.T. Barnum was right. Several appear to have been sold by the same seller(s). They don't seem particularly practical. Hopefully, intact vintage skillets are not being used to make them.

Those popped up a few years ago. I had a southern mystery skillet that was cracked at several places and extreme sulfur pitting on the bottom. Long story short it was a P.I.A to cut with a grinder wheel disk and a failure to use in a skillet. It did, and still is, working well on my charcoal grill. First and last one I will make. Not worth the time and effort.

I saw them too....I thought about getting one, for about 3 seconds.....seems too thick and large to be worth using. Maybe just for a conversation piece, but still...........

Does anyone know how to properly make these? I have a few skillets that revealed cracks after the lye bath, and it seems like an interesting project. But I can’t find a tutorial anywhere. Any special skills or equipment required?

I'm interested in trying to make one of these as well. Would a cheap Taiwan skillet be a good donor???
I think a bandsaw would be good to cut the shape out.

Back