"Economy Collecting"

SeanD

I was wondering if anyone else "collects" cheap users for everyday use? I mean like, a spinner, a little warped, or rocking, hairline crack...ect. I kind of collect them, or stumble upon them. I use a few daily, if I cook......and the cost savings are very good. Less than half price, or with bidding, it could be .99 cents. The way my mind sees it, I save money and keep a piece from the junk yard....a win win for me.

An example....a #9 Erie, with the hour glass or beer glass makers mark. It has a small crack in the side wall, but it doesnt go to the cooking surface. Im just carefull picking it up, and I rarely use this one. Anyways, I think I paid $50 for it. A steal, seeing as its near mint besides the crack.

Attachments

• Cracked.jpg
    Cracked.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 39
When I started collecting I bought almost any cast iron cookware, and got disappointed with cracks, pinholes, and wobbles. My strategy changed as I learned more about the hobby. I won’t buy cracked or badly pitted cookware. I will buy certain skillets that don’t sit perfectly flat because they work fine on my gas stove. But a bad spinner or warped skillet I will pass. Another thing is that sulfur pitting on the bottom doesn’t bother me as a user, but any pitting on the cooking surface is a turn off.

Thanks for the post.....I dont buy really warped or cracked, but small flaws dont bother me for a user....I cook on a gas stove too, so maybe thats why a little movement doesnt bother me.

Thats very true.....kinda like a gas stove......Im not into the hobby to make any money at all, except when I die I can pass them down.....i switch between my main pans and the "bad" ones.

One of my favorite users is a #8 BSR with a bit of pitting on the cooking surface. It does not hurt a thing. I have a couple more with more pitting that we use for baking pies, biscuits, etc. I got them "Dirt Cheap" and they work great.

Back