Restored Waffle Irons with Photos Show & Tell

"& Tell" – does anyone actually cook with collected CI WIs? My rationale for collecting has been that I "could" cook with the piece. I have no WIs.
I have had 4 different waffle irons and have cooked out of all of them. I have a Fanner Crescent WI that is my main one. I have given away 2 (Wagner pat 1910 and 1925 w/base) since finding the base for the Fanner. I still have a Wagner pat 1910 w/o base.

The Fanner takes longer to heat up than the Wagner's though.

I think I've posted pics of my waffle irons on this site before but apparently not in this thread so here they are.

Some high bases including a heart and star, low base square and #9.

Couple of #8s, a #7, three New Americans and a Best Made.

Wagners including a high base #9, couple Favorites and a Puritan.

Two Andresens, Crescent/Fanner, Stover, Belmont, Buck & Wright and couple more Wagners.

Griswold Majestic, Good Health and Shapleigh waiting to be cleaned.

"& Tell" – does anyone actually cook with collected CI WIs? My rationale for collecting has been that I "could" cook with the piece. I have no WIs.

Been a while, never to late until it is.

Yes.

I have sold quite a few restored collector pieces to people that use then and not for wall hangers. and more than one to some families. Some have sent me photos of them cooking with the WI I sold them. Now the funny thing is I have sold more WI to folks down in the south - southwest, something about fried chicken and waffles.

I personaly dont own a WI, but WOW!!!!! The posts on here are very, very nice pieces!!! I bet its a pain to restore tho, but a labor of love.

Ooooo! It's fun seeing everyone's waffle irons!

I've got a few in my collection (I'll get updated pictures soon).

* #8 Crescent Fanner
* #9 Stover (needs a base)
* Alfred Andresen hearts (has a broken handle holder)
* unmarked diamond flip flop
* 1869 Foxell & Jones (missing hook & wood handle - also battling some carbon crust without an e-tank...)

I really really really love the non "American" pattern (classic squares in a grid pattern) waffle irons. Plus pre 1900 waffle irons.

Abbott & Lawrence Waffle Iron Eye Candy

So I posted on 4/7/2019 post #36 the number 7 & 8 waffle irons so here is the 9 & 10 set

Hearts & Diamonds Waffle Iron was manufactured by Abbott & Lawrence of Philadelphia, Pa., which launched Liberty Stove Works in 1851 and changed names in 1858. In 1858 the name was changed to Abbott & Noble, Abbott retired at the end of the 1860s, and from 1870 onwards the firm was Charles Noble & Co, closed its doors is 1915.

Is it a lot of work to clean & season them, no labor of love. Enjoy

Abbott & Lawrence 9 & 10 Cast Iron Waffle Iron by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Abbott & Lawrence 9 & 10 Cast Iron Waffle Iron by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Abbott & Lawrence 9 & 10 Cast Iron Waffle Iron Cleaned & Seasoned by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Alfred Andersen & Co. KrumbKake Iron Set Restored Cleaned & Seasoned

Originally Posted

Some Things Can Not Be Replaced March 11, 2019

Received in the mail with a broken hinge on one of the paddles and took this long to find a replacement paddle. I did have the broken paddle repaired, but to me it was not the right thing to do.

Alfred Andersen & Co. KrumbKake Iron size 8 Restored with the original roller. P/N; 2423 & 2424 Circa; 1914
With a Griswold base 975C

Made by Griswold for Alfred Andresen & Co.

Alfred Andersen & Co. KrumbKake Iron Set by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

These are great looking WIs!! I recently restored a Wagner pat. 1910 square waffle iron (6.5"x6.5"), but couldn't get my hands on a base. I'm guessing those are pretty hard to come by these days based on my googling and ebay searching. Does anybody have any tips on where I might find one? Struggling with imgur uploading to here on my phone currently.

Wow...
Looking at those pre and post pictures, I'm starting to get scared about the 3 pieces I'll be trying to restore in the next couple of weeks...

I can only dream of them turning out so nicely as everything above. :love:

thumbnail_IMG_1803.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1804.jpg

There are ... 10 waffle irons in my collection and not one is a Griswold or Wagner hahaha!

Included in my collection: Unmarked diamonds #8/9 flip style, Fanner Crescent #8, Foxell & Jones #8/9 with 1869 patent (missing hook & wood handle), Alfred Anderson heart with broken handle, Stover #9, unmarked grid dots #9 with repair flip style, unmarked fleur di lis #9/10 flip style, C. Kieffer flip style, and unmarked "dots" flip style (not pictured needs to be cleaned).

Man I love big waffle irons haha! Missing many bases as well but I'm going to try some creative things when I get to using the waffle irons.

The diamonds pattern was my first waffle iron. It does have a chip / chuck missing from one of the paddles, most likely it came from when the top paddle was not lowered gently unto the base. (The paddles smash together with decent force - they can easily pinch fingers or damage themselves). I have cooked waffles on it and they turned out quite lovely!

Flip style waffle irons are very much my favorite, especially ones with unique patterns. I'm doing as much research as I can into them, if you have any IDs for the unmarked WI let me know! The diamond pattern most likely will never have an ID as they were a "common" waffle iron pattern available through most stove & hollowware manufacturers as well as available through hardware supply stores.

Enjoy!

I dont own any, but these are all works of art! It would be sweet to see pics of the waffles they make. They are all VERY nice! I honestly didnt think so many makers existed for WI. I like the rare never heard of before ones myself.

3 party estate auction tomorrow with several cast iron cookware items. Nothing really outstanding. I want the Stover #8 waffle iron with low base. From the photo it looks like it just came out of a barn some place. Wire handles. Looks complete. Couple different bread pans, various skillets, etc. Will see what the prices are like to see what I end up with. Also listed a Wagner Waffle Iron that is not in any picture. Might be a sleeper.

I got the Stover #8 Waffle Iron. Dirty more than anything. Complete with no damage that I could see. Got 2 corn bread pans for $8. Nasty with rust. Not sure they will be savable and not worth much if they are. The Wagner WI was one of the long flat ones about 4" wide an 8" long. It brought $75. Rest of the CI sold good as it was mostly clean stuff. At least if Have a good Waffle Iron. Now to figure out what the next item will be that I am after.

Gave the WI a good scrubbing in Dawn and hot water this morning. Looked a lot better - or worse - depending on how you look at it. Some time in it's distant past it got covered with black paint. Part of it was wearing off in places. In the lye bath it went and will leave it there for a while, like a couple weeks maybe and see how it is coming along.

Had to check the WI in the lye tank Wednesday morning. Pulled the pieces out & into the Dawn hot soapy water and scrubbed with a SS brush. To my surprise 95% of the crud and black coating came off. The inside of the paddles even came out fairly clean. Put them in the E-tank at 6-7 amp. Will let them set till tomorrow when I can process each piece as it comes out of the E-tank. 95° F outside so staying in for the next few days.

My first WI, looked like a barn find when I got it at an auction. First round of seasoning done. Second later this evening or tomorrow. Last photo shows what happens when the handles are held together like your going to flip the paddles over. Any way to correct this? Keep the ball in the socket and tip it up and rotate the paddles?
20230727_151817.jpg 20230727_151908.jpg 20230727_152208.jpg 20230727_152440.jpg

Back