Help Identify This Iron. (Gate Mark)

Joseph Abell

Any thoughts on the maker or year range of this skillet. From my understanding anything with a gate mark is pre 1890. The bottom is considerably rough and at first I thought it was from rust. After further inspection is doesnt seem rust caused but maybe more just from the original pour. The only identifiers I can find are on the top and underside of the handle as shown in the pics.

Any ideas.

Image Image

Looks like a recast of an early 1900s Wagner skillet that has suffered sulfur pitting damage.

What exactly is a "recast"?? Sorry rookie question im sure.

Also with that said were there still mfgs out there which had the "gate" mark after 1900 ?

Someone used an actual pan as a pattern to cast this pan, using obsolete (for the pan it was copied from) bottom gating technology. After the late 1800s, bottom gating was for the most part limited to larger format pieces like cauldrons.

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/glossary.php for many commonly used terms.

Someone used an actual pan as a pattern to cast this pan, using obsolete (for the pan it was copied from) bottom gating technology. After the late 1800s, bottom gating was for the most part limited to larger format pieces like cauldrons.

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/glossary.php for many commonly used terms.

Hummm well I had not thought about that as an option. What leads you to beleive it is a recast. I guess if that is common its next to impossible to date this stuff.

Being that gating was limited to the late 1800's why would this be a copy of an early 1900's pan?

What leads you to beleive it is a recast.
I'm seeing a recast because the skillet's characteristics are those of a pan later than the period bottom gating was used. Bottom gating by actual manufacturers was largely abandoned after the late 1800s. But that didn't prevent anyone with the wherewithal to smelt iron and make a sand mold from using bottom gating, though. Recasts are bottom gated because it's a simpler technology: make a slit in the sand mold and pour in the iron. Side gating requires a pattern with runners and risers as a part of it.

I'm seeing a recast because the skillet's characteristics are those of a pan later than the period bottom gating was used. Bottom gating by actual manufacturers was largely abandoned after the late 1800s. But that didn't prevent anyone with the wherewithal to smelt iron and make a sand mold from using bottom gating, though. Recasts are bottom gated because it's a simpler technology: make a slit in the sand mold and pour in the iron. Side gating requires a pattern with runners and risers as a part of it.

Interesting... I would not have thought that sort of thing was common at all.

I was hoping this was actually a stupid old piece as it would be a good conversation piece. I guess worst case it will be a good user as the inside is stupid smooth. I have several that I can actually date and this seems to be better than those.

Ohh well keep on looking.

Back