New E-tank - Need Graphite

JBPoole

After using small containers and old cookie sheets, I'm gearing up for a first class e-tank large enough for virtually all cast iron cookware.

I was just given a very heavy duty 21.5 gal. plastic container. It's a Carlisle 1064402 StorPlus 26" x 18" food storage box (Made in the USA!):

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...-x-15-white-food-storage-box/700182615WH.html

I would very much appreciate your recommendations for graphite, wiring, clamps and associated hardware.

Should I plan on having graphite on all four sides, or is two sufficient?

What size graphite do I need and where do I get it?

How do I secure the graphite to the tank?

Should I use wood or metal as a support bar for suspending the cast iron?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks!

graphite source... ebay (only place I know of)

my graphite sheets had pre drilled holes at the top and bottom edges, so I just hang mine (two sides) using coated solid copper wire (easy to adjust height so my clips stay out of the water but it stays bent where I want it and doesn't move around) But if you need to drill holes in your graphite sheet it's no big deal using normal woodworking drill bits...Also, I mostly do skillets so just doing front and back handles what I need... if you are going to be doing bigger kettles and things you'll need to adjust based on the piece. Since I mainly do skillets, I hang my pieces from a small wooden 1x1 with a solid copper hanger in a relatively small kitchen trash can sized container... roughly 20 inches high and about 12x14 or so... it holds about 8 gallons with 4 or 5 inches from the top... and keeps my pieces close to the graphite on both sides without a lot of extra room.

Probably the biggest skillet you can hang on a 18" high container is a # 10 = 12 inch diameter + 5 inch handle+ 1 inch on the hook =18 inches if you planing to clean a# 12 or 14 you will need at least 26 inches high so you can have a little gap at the bottom and the handle completely submerged.

I also use graphite for electrolysis. The ebay seller is the only one lately offering graphite at a reasonable cost. The plates have held up ok but seem to be pitting at a faster rate compared to another set I have.

I use a 32 gal Rubbermaid brute garbage bucket. I have found I can handle pans as large as a #14. I strip other cast iron items, having a tall container is great as I can raise the water level for larger / tall pieces.

I use two panels of graphite on either side of the bucket placed just protruding from the solution. I then use stainless or copper automotive (battery type) clips to connect the plates. I have a small square pvc pipe rig that sits above the bucket with copper wire and the clips attached. I suspend the piece to be cleaned from a piece of 2x4 using a solid core copper wire and another automotive stainless clip. This setup can be assembled and disassembled in less than two minutes for easy storage.

I don’t need to attach secure the graphite in this setup as they stand on their own and are held in place by the clips during the process. I hope this helps.

Matt

I have 2 tanks, one much larger than the other. Something that I've done in the larger one, and you may find useful, was to build a "cage" from 2 plastic milk crates. I used a hacksaw to easily cut 2 crates in such a way that they fit together in a rectangular shape. The length of the rectangle was just small enough to fit inside the length of my tank. The width was just a little wider than the height of a kettle. I used plastic zip ties to fasten the crates together, avoiding any worries of corrosion. I use a brick in the bottom of the cage, at one end, to keep it from floating in the tank. I suspend my graphite plates along the 2 long sides of the tank using heavy weed eater line. They are hung on wooden dowels so that i can slide them where I want in the tank. the advantage to this setup is that I don't have to hang my pieces from anything. I can just attach my battery clamp and submerge them in the cage. It has been a fantastic way to clean dutch ovens, kettles, lids, and large skillets. Hope this helps.

you dont get any shadows from the crates?

Sometimes, but usually only on pieces that fit closely against the crate (i.e.kettles and some dutch ovens). I've only had it happen a couple of times on a big skillet. When it does happen, I'll use some coarser steel wool on those areas. After 2 layers of seasoning, it's usually not noticeable.

Back