Buying CI

WallyF

Besides eBay or Amazon, is there any Pricing reference guide for the newbie like me to use in deciding whether to buy a piece in an antique shop or flea market or wherever?

Right now, I do not expect to collect as y'all do. My wife says if I go first, she's getting rid of the CI because it's too heavy. I do 95% of the cookin' and it is all done in SS or CI or (forgive me) french Enamelized CI. My CI is all "new" stuff (less than 15-20 years old) except my mother-in-law's griddle. Right now, I just want to get 2 or 3 skillets from the 1920-30's and maybe a dutch oven for everyday use.

If I have to buy/sell to do that, guess I'll have to do it.

Anyway, y'all have the experience. I'm trying to benefit from it.

Thanks. In advance.

Wally

the blue book is the closest thing to a published pricing guide... but it's quite out of date now... I'd say looking at ebay sold listings for specific items will give you the best idea of current pricing... although I've seen some things sell on ebay for some astoundingly high prices.

Right now, I do not expect to collect as y'all do. My wife says if I go first, she's getting rid of the CI because it's too heavy.
My CI is all "new" stuff (less than 15-20 years old) except my mother-in-law's griddle.

I'm also just a user...

One of the things that continually amazes me is how heavy modern stuff is. I mean, I know it is and I know why so it should be no surprise, but I'm used to the feel from using my vintage BSR (which isn't necessarily the lightest of the vintage stuff) and when I'm browsing around a store and pick up the modern lodge equivalent of one of my BSR pieces, it just feels to weigh a ton.

Perhaps as you add some more vintage pieces, your wife will take to their lighter weight more favorably.

You can try the Goodwill auction site. I live in an area where CI is not plentiful "in the wild," so I've had to pay more than folks in some other areas of the country. I've bought several from this auction.

If you decide to bid on an item on the Goodwill site, be sure to scroll down and find the link for asking a question first. I have always asked if the pan sits flat or has any damage, for instance. There's a page where you post your questions and read the answers. They have been good about making things right when there was a problem.

Good luck. The old pans are so much lighter than modern and it's like stepping back in history every time you cook in one....

Back