Advertised Tool Sale Leads to Unexpected Find!

WPowell

Ok.. I collect old tools and saw ad for tool sale at local garage sale. After inspecting all the fantastic variety of tools and striking up some small talk with the owner, I mentioned that I needed to go meet someone who is going to purchase some cast iron from me.. The owner said "I have a big cast iron piece if your interested" and he held his arms in a large circle. Well I am always interested in large mystery pieces. I then asked if I could see it and he pointed inside his garage and I saw the large piece sitting on the floor with a massive amount of screws, nuts and bolts in it. He said he was going to drill a whole in the middle and make a bird feeder out of it. "How much, before I go dig it out?"... Well he gave me a bird feeder price and I quickly accepted and dug it out. Now after a few hours of scrubbing and cleansing I have a very usable old Lodge SK 20 Double Handle Skillet :) Sorry birds..

Attachments

• IMG_9891.jpg
    IMG_9891.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9894.jpg
    IMG_9894.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 100
Mine barely fit in my e-tank or my oven. Had to get creative and tip it side to side and front to back to get it to fit in oven. I definitely couldn't do a pizza in it.

Very nice. I saw an import like that the other day, those things are huge. To bad, they were asking a non import price.

I seasoned it by using a stove top method with Crisco Shortening. Usually I use Organic Flax Seed Oil. When I tried to put it in the stove it wouldn't fit straight in or at an angle cause I have a convection oven and the fan comes out a bit of the backside just enough so I couldn't close the door.

This monster is way too big for my kitchen and is sitting on my kitchen table until I can sell it... My max size that works best for me is my large logo Griswold #10.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Diameter edge to edge 19 1/2 and handle edge to handle edge 23 3/4.

When I cleaned up a #20 for my Kid's Boy Scout troop I took all the trays out of the oven and propped one side of the pan up a little bit by putting a #5 skillet in the back of the oven. It angled the giant skillet just enough for me to close the oven door.

Thank you for rescuing that BIG skillet! I believe these were made for restaurant use, or possibly a fishing camp somewhere out in God's country. The thought of someone destroying that to make a bird feeder is flipping me out! (I make feeders out of gallon size plastic milk jugs--replaceable, and the birds seem to be happy with them.:chuckle:)

Back