Something Unusual

CJ Lucas

Hi, all! I'm new to the forum and want to say that I have learned quite a bit since discovering the site.

I noticed that the main gist of the forum is "cookware". I have something that fits loosely in that category. It's unusual and I have never seen another one like it. It is an Adams & Westlake Kerosene cookstove and a #8 frypan fits perfectly on the top. It's powered by two 4" wicks like sad iron heaters use. The pan is supported by the little pointy things on the top. I like it because it's so Gothic looking.

Wow that's stunning. Cool find. I bet it's a summer stove so you didn't have to fire up the wood stove in the heat. Nice.

Scott

Yes, I thought it was cool, too. The top flips back by way of the "eye bolt" thing just above the brass flame controllers, so that you can light it. The whole thing is about 13" high and the diameter of a #8 fry pan.

The idea of this in a railroad car kitchen is perfect before being replaced by gasoline burners like Coleman makes today.

Hilditch

Yes, Rob, that is the same company. The base of the unit, where the kerosene is put, has a bunch of patent dates on it, the last being 1882. Online, I found several "trading cards" depicting it being used by various animals - monkeys, squirrels, mice. Apparently there was an accessory plate that you could fit on the top to expand the number of pots used. One trading card says "Just the thing for camping" - I guess that's where the animals come into play.

Here is a picture:

http://www.antiquebottles.com/rl/tc/AdamsOil.jpg

Back