Trivets, in Practical Terms

Greg Gardner

Does anyone use the trivet in their dutch ovens regularly? I am thinking the idea is similar to a roasting rack, to keep a large hunk o' meat off of direct contact with the bottom. Other than that, I'm not sure what it would be used for...

That's about it, just a buffer between the meat and the bottom of the pan. More necessary for use on stovetop than in oven.

My Wife will use it when she cooks a Roast with Carrots, Potatoes and Onions.
Keeps the Roast very moist and it tastes GREAT

I personally dont really use them inside the dutch oven, but to set it on right out of the oven. Saves on cleaning a little bit. On another note, I collect trivets, the "fancy"ones. I really dont use them for what they are for, rather I hang them on the wall as decorations. Maybe Im weird........lol

I use a trivet in my DU when I am using it as an oven, usually on a fire. last time I put the cornbread inn a 9" round steel pan on a trivet in the DU then when That was done it came out with the trivet and I dumped the chunks of sweet potato and baby carrots directly in the still hot oven.

All I have for trivets is steel wire things but I have a decorative CI one out in the lye getting undecorative for cooking on.

I don't do things like roasts much but when I do (or any beef really) I use the pressure cooker and then finish in a pan or on the grill. a chicken stew will go right in CI, a beef stew won't.

Back