Troublesome Griswold

This pan is rusted worse than i thought. Badly pitted I am thinking 4" grinder and flap wheel to the inside. Any advice?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 53
From what I can tell from the pics is that it looks like regular pitting, the cause of it could be from anything. I have a #12 Wapak that was/is pitted, but it was a good deal. the pitting is almost gone from years of use. Just my 2 cents.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and DONT task a grinder to it.

Thanks Sean. I was quite exasperated by this pan. It was quite rusted. Three days in the e tank scrubbing every evening. there were still rust areas. last night I dropped it in the lye tank for no reason. This morning I cleaned the lye off oiled the pan and took those pictures. I put it in the e tank the ammeter went to 5 amp.When I got home the ammeter was at 2 amp. The rust areas were gone and very little black swarf came off in the soap suds. The Griswold is seasoning in the Weber. I feel better and won't grind it up.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Glad I checked the Weber early. The pan absorbed all the grease and was starting to surface rust. Three or four days in the e tank must drive all the grease out of the pores of the metal.

Ive never seasoned in a grill before but I have heard of it being done. I prefer my gas oven, due to the temp. control. Whatever works tho!

I do the seasoning outside because I am doing several at a time. I do not want to heat or smell up the kitchen. I start with all three burners on low for 45 min. Temp will reach 400 F. At that time I may put on a second coat of oil and go about 15 min more. I then turn the burners up full and go to 450 F and shut the burners off. I cool down with the Weber cover closed takes about 1 hour. By the way my Weber is natural gas might not pay on propane.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

I forgot a chicken fryer in the Weber one time for several hours.
It was very "clean" say rusted. It was easy to clean ahd season again. Like most work you have to watch the process to get it right.

Sean, The skillet is filing in like you said. The pitted area feels like a new Lodge the sharp edges are gone. The skillet is nice to use as it is lighter.

Back