Wagner "Senior" Corn Stick Pan

MDFraley

On a recent road trip I managed to pick up these few pieces of CI and have a few questions regarding the WW "Senior" Krusty Korn Kobs pan that is totally unmarked with the exception of the patent date of July 6, 1920.
In the BB (P.262), it shows the pan as being fully marked with the words Pat. Pending. with the design drawing just to the right of it.
I'm 99.999% sure it is a WW c/n 1318, because when I dropped Bonnie Scott off at her home she had the Senior pan in Nickel Plating and I did a comparison of size and my pan fit exactly on top of hers so there is no doubt that it is "not" a copy that someone has duplicated from the original design.
Question is did WW make any unmarked pieces of this pan other than the Pat. date and if so would it be in that "rare" category?
The lady was asking $30 for it but I got it for $20 so according to BB pricing I fell I made a good deal
See attached pics and thanks in advance.

Michael, I am seeing a few different variations of that Senior pan. I'm thinking yours is just another variation. I wish there was a Wagner Gem book like the YB for Griswold. I'm still jealous of that Griswold 665 breakfast skillet. You got a hecka deal on that pan.

Senior WWSO, round handles, Pat. Pending:

Senior WWSO, tab handles, Pat. Pending, nickel plate:

Note regular Ks, not corncob Ks on both.

On a recent road trip I managed to pick up these few pieces of CI and have a few questions regarding the WW "Senior" Krusty Korn Kobs pan that is totally unmarked with the exception of the patent date of July 6, 1920.
In the BB (P.262), it shows the pan as being fully marked with the words Pat. Pending. with the design drawing just to the right of it.
I'm 99.999% sure it is a WW c/n 1318, because when I dropped Bonnie Scott off at her home she had the Senior pan in Nickel Plating and I did a comparison of size and my pan fit exactly on top of hers so there is no doubt that it is "not" a copy that someone has duplicated from the original design.
Question is did WW make any unmarked pieces of this pan other than the Pat. date and if so would it be in that "rare" category?
The lady was asking $30 for it but I got it for $20 so according to BB pricing I fell I made a good deal
See attached pics and thanks in advance.
http://imgur.com/a/3dCdf

Just one more image of my buys when Bonnie came to visit last week. Her #4 & #5 Lodge pans are in the pic but I told her what's hers is now mine. She didn't agree so I guess they will be sent back to her. Those two rusty WW Waffle irons will be a challenge to clean but hopefully will turn out good and I can find a couple bases for them.
http://imgur.com/QenOB4k

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Senior WWSO, round handles, Pat. Pending:

Senior WWSO, tab handles, Pat. Pending, nickel plate:

Note regular Ks, not corncob Ks on both.

Thanks Doug for the reply about different variations. So does the piece I found with only the pat. date get thrown in with that group of variations?

Uncertain. The 1920 pat. date precedes the use of the stylized logo by a couple of years. But why the pan would not at least have Wagner on it is a mystery. I do not know, however, of any of these marked Wagner with other than the stylized logo.

Uncertain. The 1920 pat. date precedes the use of the stylized logo by a couple of years. But why the pan would not at least have Wagner on it is a mystery. I do not know, however, of any of these marked Wagner with other than the stylized logo.

Thank you for the info again. It will go to the lye tank for clean up but I'm sure there are no names on it. I may do another post next to a junior and possibly another senior piece in the near future.

I found that I had one of the 'Krusty Korn Kob' Junior pans (it was in the stack that I bought at the auction that included the griswold corn stick pan... it was so crusty at the auction that I couldn't make out any markings... but it cleaned up really well)... my question is as Doug mentioned above the 'K's rather than the corn cob's as 'K's... is one older than the other... mine is corn cob's shaped as the letter K... with the same patent date on the bottom.

Michael, here is a picture of mine before I cleaned it. The patent info placement and size matches yours perfectly.

Just a thought, but, if the tab handle predates the round handle maybe Wagner covered the name during the depression and sold them like this at hardware stores?

Last edited:
Valid point Bonnie. I suppose there are other various to think about also. Could have been that the molder forgot to add the italicized WW and simply run it with the Pat. date only (Friday afternoon or Monday morning)?
I did notice in my small paper back book which list the 1931 catalog pictures that there were different locations where the Pat. date was applied. On the 1319 "Junior" pan it was located on the second stick up from the bottom and also on the third stick up from the bottom which gives it variations as you earlier pointed out. On the 1317 "Tea" size pan it was on the second stick up from the bottom but it also had "Reg. In U.S. Pat. Off." on the second stick down from the top.
This has me wondering if WW produced a number of these pans (1318 Senior) before the registration of the italicized name of Wagner Ware. It would be nice to know some of these details but unless they were actually written down and documented we may never know. I do know that my pan is the same size, shape and weight as your pan so I'm convinced it is not a "Re-Cast" or copy.
Thanks for your input.

Could have been that the molder forgot to add the italicized WW and simply run it with the Pat. date only (Friday afternoon or Monday morning)?
Incised markings are in the pattern, not added to the mold at molding time. To not appear in the casting they would have to first be filled in on the pattern or scraped off the inside of the sand mold. Neither scenario in this case seems plausible.

All of the missing marks would identify the manufacturer. It wasn't unusual for many manufactures to share the same patent info, so maybe there was no need to cover that in order to sell it as a store brand. I like mystery pans. :icon_thumbsup: $20 well spent IMO.

Incised markings are in the pattern, not added to the mold at molding time. To not appear in the casting they would have to first be filled in on the pattern or scraped off the inside of the sand mold. Neither scenario in this case seems plausible.

Yes...I see your point and your absolutely correct. Guess I didn't think it thru when assuming the reason for not being marked with the WW logo.
Do you have any data on whether the WW logo had to be registered at the US Pat Office before actually being applied to the product? I know we see "Pat'd. Applied For" stamped on CI pieces along with the company's logo prior to that product being produced as a regular piece of CI. When reading the data on that tea size (1317) pan, it makes me think that WW actually registered their italicized name with the US Patent Office.

The inscribed 1920 patent date refers to the corn stick pan design. That patent was filed in 1918.

I have a senior size corn stick pan that is marked but it has tab handles and uses K’s instead of corn ears. My question is did WW make the junior and the tea size with tab handles, I’ve never seen one! Thanks

It would appear the senior size was the only one to have tab handles or the plain Ks marking.

Thanks! The book is a little unclear but it leads you to believe they made them in the junior and tea sizes but the only picture is of the senior pan. Thanks!

Speaking of Krusty Korn Kobs, I found this classified ad from 1919.

3kffPef.jpg

Odd, considering Wagner sold the SHW foundry back to its original owner in 1903. It would appear he didn't get the business back, though.

Speaking of Krusty Korn Kobs, I found this classified ad from 1919.

3kffPef.jpg

Odd, considering Wagner sold the SHW foundry back to its original owner in 1903. It would appear he didn't get the business back, though.

I have all kinds of questions about that ad...
1919? Sidney Hollow ware? using the Krusty Korn Kobs name?

Back