Question: Setting Up Electrolysis Tank

JeffProper

Have read all the info and think I've got a handle on how to set up electrolysis. However, one question I've not seen addressed. How may AMPs should I be using? Or is it just a matter of 12 amps less time; 2 amps more time??
Thanks,
Jeff

The lower amp setting will work, the higher amp setting should work faster. Excessive amperage (like 40) can just be overkill, creating more heat than efficiency.

I got a 20 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck for mine and while in the hardware store got 1 foot of 5 gauge ground wire for 99 cents. They also had a manual charger for 39.95. I filled the can up near the top and added about 2 cups of washing soda. Used an old piece of broomstick and cut the copper wire into 2 pieces. Wrapped it around the broomstick, making a hook in each end. Had to readjust the wrap on the broomstick to get the hook just under the surface of the water. When you hang a piece of CI on one of the hooks, take a nail and rub the handle loop really well so it will make good contact. I left the top of the wire sticking straight up above the broomstick to attach the clamps to. I run my charger at 12 v--2amps. Works fine for me.

Glenn reminds me of a good point. Electrolysis will not work with many of today's automatic or "smart"chargers. They rely on sensing that it's hooked to a battery before it will send current down the wire, and since an electrolysis tank isn't a battery, the charger will not work.

Steve D
Absolutely pristine distilled water is not a conductor, it needs impurities. Doug is absolutely correct, don't waste money on distilled water, you need "impurities" to conduct the electrical current.

Back