Vintage Finds Spider Skillet, Kettle, and Small Skillet

Found these today at an antique store I was referred to by a friend. The skillet is a "Spider" skillet with the number 9 1/2 on it from 1840 - 1860. The kettle is from 1780 during the Revolutionary War period and has HW on it. Thinking it stands for HARTUE . WILEY CO PITTS. PA that made tea kettles and it is the right size for brewing tea. The other photo is a small skillet from 1800 - 1820.

If anyone has any additional information they can provide I would love to hear about these gems. I will be restoring them too. :D

Attachments

• P2180009.jpg
    P2180009.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 84
  • P2180003.jpg
    P2180003.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 79
  • P2180004.jpg
    P2180004.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 76
I love those old pans. Civil War reenactors come to my town (Plymouth NC) every year. "Living History Weekend" What's really cool is the tents, soldiers uniforms, Ladies Dresses, etc are all copies of the original period, But the cast iron cookware is all original from that era!

Brian, also--do you have any info about the Hartue-Wiley Co?

What did they produce?
What were the years they were in operation?
Etc?

Here are the close up pics of the HW.

Attachments

• P2190003.jpg
    P2190003.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P2190004.jpg
    P2190004.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 34
  • P2190005.jpg
    P2190005.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 40
Thanks, Brian. When I clicked on your pics, the photo was too fuzzy for me to make out the TM. Don't know if you can get a better close-up or not, but if not, thanks for trying. I was wanting to see what the lettering looked like.

Found these today at an antique store I was referred to by a friend. The skillet is a "Spider" skillet with the number 9 1/2 on it from 1840 - 1860. The kettle is from 1780 during the Revolutionary War period and has HW on it. Thinking it stands for HARTUE . WILEY CO PITTS. PA that made tea kettles and it is the right size for brewing tea. The other photo is a small skillet from 1800 - 1820.

If anyone has any additional information they can provide I would love to hear about these gems. I will be restoring them too. :D

Brian, I couldn't fine anything about your HW kettle. It's actually Hartje--LOL! At any rate, all I could find is that they made tea kettles; here's a link to some pictures-- http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-cast-iron-tea-kettle-hartje-wiley-co-pitts

I would very much like to see the TM on your kettle when you have time....

Donna......I put that in my original post and that is all I could find for now too. There are some museums in the area I will visit to see if they have more information on this relic. Here are a couple more photos I just took outside to see if it is clearer.

Attachments

• P2210001.jpg
    P2210001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 28
  • P2210006.jpg
    P2210006.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 27
Donna; a friend just used their phone. These might be clearer. ;)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Next.jpg
    Next.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Last.jpg
    Last.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 33
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but does anybody on this thread have a copy of the Grey Book? That kettle bears a striking resemblance to a US revolutionary era kettle on the top half of page 82. The shape of the legs, the lip around the top, the way it's beveled where the bail attaches, and most of all, that early Federal eagle. If that's the case, HW could be the mold maker's initials and the kettle might have come from Salisbury Furnace in Lakeville CT or in Stafford Hollow.

Wow, that's really an elaborate TM! I know you must be really pleased to have found it. I read somewhere that the foundry was built in 1870 and failed in 1873...short life!

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but does anybody on this thread have a copy of the Grey Book? That kettle bears a striking resemblance to a US revolutionary era kettle on the top half of page 82. The shape of the legs, the lip around the top, the way it's beveled where the bail attaches, and most of all, that early Federal eagle. If that's the case, HW could be the mold maker's initials and the kettle might have come from Salisbury Furnace in Lakeville CT or in Stafford Hollow.

Ty, wish I could see the picture you're talking about, but I don't have the gray book. :cry:

I finally found out who made the kettle; Howard Roth. I was totally mistaken about the tea kettle company. Here is the link to some information about it and I can't believe these things sold for 500.00 - 2500.00 plus. What a piece of history I have found. I am in the process of restoring it right now and will post photo's soon. I appreciate all the help being provided from this forum. Never thought my knife sharpening skills would carry over to me becoming a cast iron fanatic in less than a year. LOL :D Want to give a big thank you to Donna M. for her interest in this piece too! https://issuu.com/skinnerinc/docs/2744m-2743t-2757b-wrought-iron

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 29
I'm wrong again as to the maker; Howard Roth was a collector. Time to go to that old fashioned building called a library to see what I can find about this thing. Keeps me busy!

Just found out when I was cleaning the kettle up there was a broken leg that someone glued on. Oh well! I'll get something better than glue to mend it. Going to be used as a decorative conversation piece only. Still a piece of American history.

Back