Cast Iron Collector Forums  

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron


General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2020, 06:40 PM
WallyF WallyF is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 333
Default DO/Oval Roaster Tops

I've noticed some DO and Oval Roaster tops have small "tabs". Others do not have them.

Does anyone know what, if any, the purpose of these "tabs" is?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2020, 08:23 PM
Doug D. Doug D. is offline
Site Admin
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,268
Default Re: DO/Oval Roaster Tops

It might be tempting to theorize that, if the lid were affixed to a rotating mechanism to grind the lid/pot joint smooth, they might be a way to keep it from slipping without involving the handle. That tends to lose credence, however, when they are seen on oval lids.

Some think they might be to provide an air gap when storing the DO with the lid inverted, but that doesn't do anything for someone storing with the lid upright.

They always seem to be oriented with the handle, so perhaps it was something to do with making sure the handle lined up with the writing on the top. Of course, that would be unnecessary on an oval lid.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


- Website Directory -

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to or its affiliates.
This page contains ads and links that earn commissions for CIC.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.