Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 09-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Gem Pan Seasoning Tips Needed

I have quite a few gem pans. I am having a difficult time in trying to properly season them. The issue comes from the small openings and intricate designs in the pieces. I have used a silicone brush to try to get into the spaces, but I have heard that the silicone can adhere to the hot cast iron and cause issues to the seasoning process.

I originally used a small paint brush, but the bristles were coming out onto the piece causing me more trouble in removing them.

I have used Pam as a second seasoning of late, only because it has been a chore to season it the normal way. I use Crisco as my seasoning choice.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Gem Pan Seasoning Tips Needed

Hi GTurner,

I had a similar question about cleaning a waffle iron... how best to deal with all of small "nooks and crannies". The two suggestions from the forum that helped me the most were...
  1. Give time for the lye to do its work (I use the Aerosol Oven Cleaner Spray method)
  2. Use a Mothers Carpet & Upholstery Brush to scrub off the gunk (Mothers is not available in Canada, but found a close alternative)
In the end, with those tips, it ended up being a fairly easy job.

Good luck
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM

When I season a gem or corn pan or WI, I used a disposable paint brush. I melt the Crisco or fat and paint it on. I do my best to wipe it all off the pop it in the oven.

I have lost a few bristles, but nothing to worry about. I pick them off when wiping.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Although I hate doing gem pans and waffle irons for obvious reasons these happen to be my two favorite CI groups. I have used Pam and I also use a small spray bottle with canola oil on pieces heated to 225F.

Application of the oil is the easy part. I let the pieces drain briefly on paper towers in the sink. I then use bamboo skewers to force the paper towers into all the nooks and crannies. Old credit cards also work well for some pieces. When I have removed the bulk of the oil I reheat the piece at 225F and continue to remove all the oil that reappears.

I usually season gem pans and waffle irons twice too much work to invest into seasonings beyond that.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:27 PM

Thank you everyone.

Does using the silicone brush cause an issue? This is one of my main concerns. The brush tends to work fairly well.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM

I often use silicone brushes, at temps in the 200F region I have never had any issues.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM

I alter my seasoning techniques on these types of pans. I warm them to the point I can still handle with my hands and apply the Crisco with my fingers. Uses more Crisco this way but the end result is great.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Thanks. I won't use my hands on hot/warm metal, but hey, if it works for you that's all that matters. I guess I'll still use the silicone brush without worries.