Bolton Dutch Oven?

KeithHardy

Hiya Folks,

We came across an interesting dutch oven a while back. Now trying to to identify and find some history of this manufacturer.

This dutch oven has a stirrup handle on the lid which I have never come across with the many other cast iron pieces we have found. On the collar of the handle I can barely make out the raised lettering "Bolton" No. 708 & Patent 11 10 14.
Next to the handle is the raised numerals 16 which is the same as on the handle of the pot.
The lid is 15-7/8" OD, outer lip to hold coals is 1-9/16" in height. The pot OD is 15-7/8", ID is 15-3/8", outer height is 4-1/8", inner depth is 3-3/4". Handle is 9" and widest point is 1-5/8".

As seen in the photos, the bale has been soldered and attached to eyes in the handle and opposite side of pot. Have never seen this configuration. Also, the three legs were removed and ground down some time in this pots history.

This pot is one of the more unusual we have found other than some old cast iron from Glascock.

Any thoughts on this old dutch oven? The photos are before we put it in our E-tank.

Cheers!
Keith

Attachments

• 20211023_092742.jpg
    20211023_092742.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211023_092810.jpg
    20211023_092810.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211023_092830.jpg
    20211023_092830.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 22
The lid handle is unusual for this type of hollowware, and may or may not be original. The rest of the item has similarities to a Martin "country skillet", but it's not certain a size 16 was made by them. I wonder if the markings on the add-on handle apply only to it, or perhaps to what it may have originally been attached to, if that is indeed the case. One might also wonder if it's actually "bolt on", which the handle apparently does. Finding a relevant patent with that date may shed some light.

That thing must be huge! Im going by the #16 on the lid......I have never seen one of these....til now, lol...

Hi Folks,

Still trying to familiarize myself with this forum. I have uploaded more photos of this old dutch oven for ya'll to see.
So what is this?

Cheers!
Keith

Now that baby has some stories to tell im sure! Is that a #10 on the handle? My biggest piece of CI is a #14, and its big....

Now that baby has some stories to tell im sure! Is that a #10 on the handle? My biggest piece of CI is a #14, and its big....

Hi Sean, the number is 16 on the handle.
Here are the dimensions:
The lid is 15-7/8" OD, outer lip to hold coals is 1-9/16" in height. The pot OD is 15-7/8", ID is 15-3/8", outer height is 4-1/8", inner depth is 3-3/4". Handle is 9" and widest point is 1-5/8".

Cheers!
Keith

https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d...on-cast-iron-railways-coal-shovel-handle.html

Apparently, it is indeed something cobbled together, at least the handle on the lid is. The interesting part about the bail is its attachment opposite the handle, which appears part of the casting. Anyway, I'd say call off the search for a Bolton camp skillet. The remaining mysteries are, (1) did Martin make a #16, (1a) are the lid and pan a match or a marriage, (2) were the legs sawed off this pan or a pan it was copied from and (3) was it made by a commercial foundry or just someone with the resources to cast iron. I don't see gate marks on either piece, so if they are recasts, they're good ones.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the link about the shovel handle. My wife had found a few of these old handles online when we first started trying to figure out what we have.

I removed the handle and took photos showing how this was cobbled onto the lid with hopes someone will be able to identify this piece. Later today I plan to dig out an old Martin lid we have to see if the raised numerals are very similar or not.

Running my fingers around the edge with lid on pot, the fitting is almost perfect like they were made for each other.. Examining the pot's casting, it is smooth unlike Griswold recastings made in Mexico and other places. The spots for the legs are a little raised and uneven like they were ground off. Whomever removed the legs were careful to not grind into the bottom of the pan.

Here are a few more photos...

Cheers!
Keith

20211026_085704.jpg

20211026_085702.jpg

20211026_085712.jpg

20211026_085732.jpg

Back