What Brand Do You Collect And Why?

SeanD

I collect all CI, but I mainly collect Wapak. I guess for me, the reasons I love Wapaks are that they are kind of easy to date ( 1903-1926 ), not a lot of variants, every Wapak is unique in that they all have their flaws somewhere on them ( that's what I love ), they were I'm assuming a small outfit compared to Griswold, Wagner, Lodge, ect. They are also lightweight, smooth as glass, cook very well. Finally, I like that they have just enough different logos to make things interesting, and keeps you guessing.

I am trying to collect Iron Mountain. I do collect at least one of the different makers of CI. I have at least one of each: a Favorite (Puritan), Lodge, BS&R, Wagner, and Griswold. With Griswold, I want an Erie, slant logo, LBL, SBL & MBL (late large). A Spider would be nirvana. I do have most of the Griswold logos.

Martin, Wapak, Excelsior, Hanks, GF Filley, Waterman, etc are still on my list along with the Canadian manufactures.

Wish me luck.

I collect Wagner,Bsr,Lodge,I don't like Griswold too many variations but When I see one real cheap $3-$8 I buy it like an investment,I have one of each different brand,I'm cheap and I don't want to spend a lot of money on 1 item if I can have 3 or 4 with same amount of money

I don't get serious about collecting a specific series until I get a really good deal on a rare piece from that series. Once I get one of the hard to find ones out of the way I'm willing to be a little more flexible on how much I might pay to put a set together.

The first vintage CI I got was a Griswold, so that's what primarily interests me. I'd like to put together a working set from the different series. Currently I have a #3 LBL smooth bottom, #5 SBL grooved handle, #7 SBL early handle, and #8 Slant EPU with heat ring. As you can see I still have a long way to go.

I have recently discovered the old straight walled, outer heat ring pans. In terms of form factor, I think I like them the most. My #9 Wagner/National is a thing of beauty, just looking at it you know you're dealing with a vintage item.

I just started collecting (trying to finish a set my Mom left me). I have Wagners and BSR Red Mountains (trying to finish the "S" set (3, 5, 7). I impulse bought an unmarked gated number 9 which I love love love, so I would like to get every size. But the ones I think are the prettiest and am actively collecting are the fully marked Victors. I have a 6, 7 and 8. I want a 5 and 9 but haven't had a lot of luck. I just think they're beautiful!!!!

Last edited:
I am very much into local pieces from the Northeast. However I am fond of unique bakeware G.F. Filley gem pans are my favorite. I would love to complete a set of Wapak Indians but then again who wouldn't. I go for the gate marked skillets due to the history and weight.

I enjoy the hunt so anything is fair game, the rarer the better.

Thanks for all the replies.....its interesting to hear everyone's different stories!

The Wagners and Griswold do not interest me at all. If I want a good cast iron user or a modern piece than Lodge is the only way to go. Lodge is perfect with a super reputation and a mixture of modern proven metals. I do not see how it would be able to best Lodge with modern or old cast iron. David

One of my go to skillets for small meals in my #8 Oneta....made by wapak but the #8 is about the size of a Wapak #7. Id say not too many people collect Oneta, lol....but I like them.

Favorite Piqua Ware (esp. Smiley Logo). The quality and elegance of design are second to none in my mind. Works of art.

Im starting to try to collect Descoware as well as Wapak. I only have 1 Descoware so far, an oval roaster with the maple leaf design, and I love it.

I collect because it's fun and a learning experience, and I prefer using CI to aluminum and fancy stuff as seen on TV. For frugality, I've limited myself to one of each "major" brand and, because we use everything I've collected (so far), I've added a little variety with a waffle iron, muffin and bread pans:).
I have a smiley Favorite fryer with lid, a 14 Lodge skillet (my pizza pan), slant and LB Griswold skillets, an Indian Wapak, a Sidney Holloware 3-hole handle, a 10 Wagner Ware skillet (my go-to), a Martin hangover, Griswold 932 abelskiver, 948 muffin pan, a 950 NES type 5 on it's way, Sydney arc, Erie 9 first series, Lodge and Favorite no.8 DO's, Wagner chef (another go-to), a logo'd Vollrath, and a gate-marked no.7 shallow pan that travels with me when I go outdoors. ;)
Hopefully I'll be able to finally add a no.10 block lettered Wagner to the list this year - fingers crossed!

Since I grew up in western PA, I collect Griswold. I started about 15 years ago and lost interest until a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe how much the prices have gone up.

Back