Wagner National #9

Just picked up a fully marked Wagner National, c/n 1359. Seasoned her last night.

27276543409_86f2f623b3_c.jpg

She's in rougher shape than I had hoped, with some pitting on the cooking surface to match the pitting on the bottom exterior. Nothing that a bit of seasoning won't cure. Luckily enough the exterior pitting spared the markings, making a neat ring in between the upper NATIONAL and the center WAGNER WARE SIDNEY -O-.

The worst part is that it looks like a previous owner inexpertly tried to clean this pan at some point. He must have used some physical tools to remove the crud, as there are some score marks located in various places on the sidewalls.

27276549699_3ec075d478_c.jpg

I still like this pan. I dig the form factor of these older straight walled, exterior heat ring skillets. It also helps that this pan is surprisingly light, with its thin walls. Here's a picture of the pan with an unmarked Wagner #8 nested above it.

27276556559_394d3d4b98_c.jpg

Its a really nice skillet, you will get a lifetime of use out of it, and so what if its no " mint ", its old and in good shape, use it for what it was made for, and display it if you want!

I second SeanD, I get caught up in the whole "I want perfect collectible brand new" pans, but in all honesty the warped spinner I inherited makes just as good of food as my super flat favorite smiley #8

Nice pan Christian!

I totally agree. I have a few Nationals as well. Some of my skillets may not have a premium collector value. But I enjoy looking at them. Good enough for me.

I totally agree. I have a few Nationals as well. Some of my skillets may not have a premium collector value. But I enjoy looking at them. Good enough for me. I Attached two pictures of two of my Nationals.

Attachments

• 4825B9A5-9138-4F11-B736-5BA578A218BC.jpg
    4825B9A5-9138-4F11-B736-5BA578A218BC.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 67
  • E440AFAA-7CE6-42AE-BC05-1886F2CA4B36.jpg
    E440AFAA-7CE6-42AE-BC05-1886F2CA4B36.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 63
Thanks guys. At this point I'm not concerned with collectible value. The focus is on buying good pieces that I can use. This one definitely fits the bill. It is flat,and free of cracks. A keeper for sure.

I want that Favorite Smiley #8 though. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys. At this point I'm not concerned with collectible value. The focus is on buying good pieces that I can use. This one definitely fits the bill. It is flat,and free of cracks. A keeper for sure.

I want that Favorite Smiley #8 though. :mrgreen:

Be careful with the Favorite Smileys, they are addicting, at least to me they are. I drove 2 hrs one way in a snowstorm last night to get some

Here is one of mine thats not perfect but I love it.

Attachments

• #5 001.jpg
    #5 001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 63
One more...my Wapak #12, it has a LOT of pitting on the cooking surface, but the outside is in great shape. I use it at least 4 times a week to cook dinner, it is my go to pan to fry burger, bake chicken, sear steaks, ect. I paid like 60 bucks for it instead of the usual 200 plus dollars, and its hanging one my wall with my other "mint" ones!

Attachments

• 064 (640x480).jpg
    064 (640x480).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 065 (640x480).jpg
    065 (640x480).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 54
Be careful with the Favorite Smileys, they are addicting, at least to me they are. I drove 2 hrs one way in a snowstorm last night to get some

Very true. I have a smiley #8 that I use for my egg fryer. Took next to no seasoning and eggs slide around like it's oiled glass. Also, those National pans are definitely the lightest skillets I've ever handled. Have one just like OP's just without the Wagner logo and has a size number instead of a c/n.

Hey Christian,

I'll add another "agreed" to the list. Found my #9 at the end of August. After restoring it, was very disappointed to find the cooking surface wasn't "perfect". Even so, it is a great user. Hope you enjoy using yours as much as I enjoy using mine.

https://imgur.com/a/NV4Aq

Perhaps I overstated the condition of the pan. I suppose it's not that bad, it's just that the cooking surface is the least smooth I've personally experienced in a cleaned up vintage piece.

24699633127_60050bf2d6_c.jpg

I am cooking in it. I don't use it too often as my Slant #8 Griswold is my go-to pan. However I do use the National for those times when I need something larger. The seasoning is developing nicely and is final starting to get that non-stick quality.

Back