Lodge pattern number changes

GTurner

I have quite a few newer (post 1987) Lodge pieces. I have noticed that Lodge has changed the model numbers on their pieces. They now have an 'L' before the part number and/or a '3' after the number.

When did this happen?

Examples:
Melting Pot, then MPR, now LMP3

Lodge 10" Square Grill Pan, then 8SGP, now L8SGP3

Cast Iron Baking Pan 14", then P14P, now P14P3

Also, does anyone know why they changed it? I understand including the 'L' as that probably means Lodge, but they didn't do it for all of the items.

The L denotes (redundantly at this point) Logic, their branding of their pre-seasoned ware. The 3 basically denotes a pattern revision, 3 having superceded 2, which superceded a 1 or an unnumbered original pattern design, and none of which were produced concurrently.

Probably as molds and patterns wore out. It most likely was not all at once. You'd probably have to contact Lodge to get an exact answer.

I used to work in a machine shop that specialized in tool, mold, and die work for plastic thermo-vacu forming. Dies and molds (and patterns) are very expensive, and even when a company would come up with a revised design, they would often wait till the current mold/die was worn out before implementing it.

When did they change?
Not all at once, but apparently beginning ca. late 1980s.

Cast iron molds are single use, destroyed as castings are removed. The pattern revisions took place long after the advent of automated molding lines, so the likelihood is that they coincided with changes to design, not pattern wear. Many revisions appeared to be categorical, as in pans of a certain type all at once. These observations are from a number of Lodge catalogs of that time frame.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Do you have copies of these catalogs that you could post or send to me?

Back